Featured Inherited dropleaf gateleg dining table and wheelback chairs - help identifying?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by E Nelson, Jan 4, 2022.

1. E Nelson

E Nelson New Member

Hi

I have inherited a dark wood, pie crust gateleg dining table and four wheelback chairs as shown in the pictures attached. It's an unusual shape and I haven't been able to find anything like it online. Unfortunately I couldn't find any stamps/stickers etc. to help identify.
    I initially thought ercol "old colonial" as there is some other furniture inherited that is ercol, but this has no sticker and doesn't look like anything ercol I have seen online.

I am in the UK in the northeast of England. Thanks for any help!

IMG-20220104-WA0015.jpg IMG-20220104-WA0011.jpg IMG-20220104-WA0016.jpg IMG-20220104-WA0012.jpg IMG-20220104-WA0013.jpg

Figtree3, judy, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Chairs are a variation on a Windsor style. Table appears to be 20s or later. Doubt if they went together originally.

3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

chairs look as if Lucian Ercolani (Ercol furniture) made holidays in Norway.

4. E Nelson

E Nelson New Member

Thank you both

I don't think the chairs are ercol, I did initially think they may be but I can't find any wheelback examples online.

It's the table that I'm most curious about, once again despite exhaustive online searches I haven't found one similarly shaped anywhere

Fid and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Nice oak gateleg table Traditional features, such as the gadrooning on the edge, lend a "classical" feeling, although the resemblance is modernistic and superficial. Good quality oak grain. Made ca. 1920-1940, in between the wars. Good to hang onto since you won't find better new at several times the price. Nevertheless, you won't be able to retire on the proceeds if you sell it, in my part of the U.S. you might get $50-$100 at auction

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice table and chairs -- even if they didn't originally go together, they are attractive together, imo.

7. E Nelson

E Nelson New Member

Thanks! Unfortunately we don't have space for them and aren't really our style, though they have been in the family for a long time so kind of attached to them.

I just wish I knew more about the table

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I would want to know too! If you provide pictures of the underside of the table, with close ups of joints, connections, etc. the experts (points away from self) will have more to work with.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted