Featured Inkwell

Discussion in 'Tools' started by ForgetfulExplorer, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Hello! I am trying to possible get some help dating this inkwell. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide!
    image000003 (13).jpg image000004 (16).jpg image000005 (13).jpg

anundverkaufen, wlwhittier and judy like this.
  2. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

What is it made from? How does the lid come off? Are the four holes for quill pens? In what country was it obtained? It looks very shallow, are you sure it is an inkwell?

Boland, ForgetfulExplorer and komokwa like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Since it appears to be from Asia, perhaps for ink in the form of a dry cake that you drip water onto & make as you go?

Boland and ForgetfulExplorer like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Chinese characters on the "lid", so my first thought was an inkwell for Chinese calligraphy. Don't ask me how old; I just know if you threw some cake ink in there it would go right back to work.

Boland, ForgetfulExplorer and Bronwen like this.
  5. It was obtained in the USA, I was told it was made of Jade, I am not sure what the holes are for but possibly quill. The top just lifts off. I was just told it was an inkwell but I wouldn't have cared either way, I just liked it, ha!

Boland, Brian Warshaw and Bronwen like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have dabbled with Sumi-e painting. It is possible that small amount of water goes into the well and then the ink stick is rubbed in it to create the ink. It would not have to be for painting it could be for calligraphy. found something similar on Ebay but dead link. google
    Chinese Clay Calligraphy Inkwell 8 Immortal Paint Brush Writing Art . for pics. Could n't get the pic to download.

Attached Files:

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Looked like pottery to me as well.

ForgetfulExplorer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted