Featured Insane $2320.00 Fostoria American Vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Nov 7, 2023.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

There are some items I sell on eBay and other items I just don't want to deal with because of the shipping, etc, etc. This large pair of Fostoria vases is one example of an item I didn't want to list because of the size.

I consigned these to my local on-line only auction a few weeks ago. Much to my surprise, they sold for a whopping $2320.00!!!

Am I missing something with these vases? I can't find other similar examples. Are these soooo rare that they could command such a price?

Unfortunately, there is some bad news....one vase has a SMALL chip on the inside bottom edge. Since it wasn't disclosed in the description, the winning bidder no longer wants them.

They will be sold again in a few weeks.

THANKS for any info you can pass along :)

img-3.axd.jpeg img-1.axd.jpeg img-2.axd.jpeg img.axd.jpeg

Figtree3, cxgirl, TallCakes and 8 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well , that's cool, and that sucks , at the same time !!

good luck next go around !

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

4. komokwa

WOW...........

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. komokwa

looks like your winning bidder is a jerk.......

that lone one is said to have a scratch...& if these are so ....rare...... a pair gotta be really rare !!!!!!

kyratango, Aquitaine, Boland and 3 others like this.
  6. vitry-le-francois

wow!! maybe I'll get them back from the auctioneer

Figtree3, cxgirl, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

wowie great to see how much they are worth.

8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Oh crap. They had a massive donation of Fosteria at the shop I go to. It took weeks to sell it off. I avoided it because I have too much glass. I'll check tomorrow though to see if there is anything left.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I do not understand that.I dont care how rare they are,they look so ...banal !

cxgirl, kyratango, Boland and 3 others like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

If I had seen this in a store or estate sale, I would never have known they were so special. live and learn

11. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agree,very impressive prices for things that look so ordinary. Looks like that winning bidder really got a bargain. He should have taken them little chip and all.

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would have passed them by with not a second glance.

13. vitry-le-francois

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!

Had a nice talk with the auctioneer. The winning bidder doesn't want the chipped piece but did want the other. He was willing to pay $1750.00 plus fees, taxes, etc.

Since I only paid FIVE DOLLARS for the pair, I decided that would be enough profit.
    Besides, I have a GREAT working relationship with this auction and they agreed to only charge 10% commission (technically, it's their error).

Furthermore, there is absolutely no guarantee that I would get the same price or anywhere near the original price (remember, it takes TWO bidders).

I'm happy.

Figtree3, cxgirl, mirana and 16 others like this.
  14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Figtree3, cxgirl, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  15. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Yes they are called porch vases, and very rare.
    Mikey

Figtree3, Boland, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  16. pearlsnblume

way to go. Congrats.

17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Thats a serious score Vitry ! Congrats !

kyratango, Boland, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

Great score!

19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Congrats on a tremendous sale!! :woot::woot::woot: :D:D:D

I am not sure I would have recognized them as American as the typical pattern is really only around the bottom. I had to look in my Leslie Pina book because I did not remember ever seeing this shape. It is there but is a drawing rather than a photo.

Fostoria American is kind of like modern collectibles. Probably 95% is readily available & very affordable. However, there is the 5% that includes the banana split dishes, some of the colored pieces, the early vanity pieces that included perfume bottles, powder jars, glove boxes, etc, the "Eiffel Tower" candlestick & some of the bottles to name just some that can bring surprising results.

So are they going to sell the other one for you?

cxgirl, johnnycb09, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

Great information. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted