Interesting Carving? Need help identifying

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AusO1, May 19, 2020.

1. AusO1

AusO1 New Member

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

This is a cast product, made by "Wolf Enterprises" or "Wolf Originals" and you'll see on it the initials WE with a copyright symbol, looking like an "O."
    Their items are made of a plaster mix, sometimes called hydrostone, and are then given a top-coat of resin for gloss, and a dusting of talcum powder to bring out the details.
    They are widely misidentified, especially on ebay, and in Canada it is apparently legal to sell them as "soapstone carvings," although the only soapstone in them is in the talcum dust, and there is no carving.
    Their labels will sometimes say "hand-made," though there is not really any hand-work, other than possibly pouring the plaster into the molds, or applying the talcum dust.
    The company goes back to the mid 1960s, but they are still in business today. Googling for information is very hard, both because of the common misidentification on ebay, and that if you google terms like "wolf sculptures" you get mostly sculptures of wolves.
    I've got some links to more info, if I can find them.

kyratango, komokwa, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  4. all_fakes

Exactly. INH's ebay example is one of the many stating "hand-carved soapstone, hand-made in Canada."
    It just is not soapstone, or hand-carved. Hand-made does not mean hand-carved; and hand-made items generally do not have copyright symbols.....let me find those links....

kyratango, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  5. all_fakes

6. AusO1

AusO1 New Member

I appreciate all the info. I didn’t have any idea what it was, but it caught my eye nonetheless. Thanks again

kyratango, komokwa and all_fakes like this.
  7. all_fakes

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  8. all_fakes

Sure; these are well-done for what they are, and are often quite cute. They make good gifts, especially if one were a collector of beavers, or whatever.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted