Featured Interesting cross collectible book RR & PO. 1884

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hamptonauction, Mar 13, 2020.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Ashford? Been there!

2. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’m sorry...;p. Nice town actually. Nothing there but nice town! Why?

3. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I hope these help you.

times 1.jpg
    times 2.jpg
    times 3.jpg
    times 4.jpg

4. evelyb30

Been a while. I went to UConn, and later on I had to go to Providence a few times from Hartford. The best route went straight through Ashford.

J Dagger likes this.
  5. J Dagger

Ah yes! Huskkkkies! The best route to Prov runs through there as did the route most of the original residents of CT took down from Boston.

6. J Dagger

7. evelyb30

Go Dawgs!

The ages of houses in the state gives the route away, establishment dates of towns etc. There's a bunch of 18th century buildings out along that line and there's at least one 17th century house still standing in Windsor, CT. I'd imagine most folks coming down from Boston went down the rivers if they were shipping freight.

8. J Dagger

Cant say for freight but that makes sense! The originals came down on a network of mostly NA trails. They actually avoided the wet areas. Hooker and Co. came down that route.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Connecticut_Path

edit; I’ve never seen that home in Windsor but next time I’m in CT I’ll seek it out!

9. evelyb30

Broad St if memory serves - Route 159 just south of the center of town. There are also a pile of 18th century houses a bit further north in the Historic District. In American terms, the town has been there a long time.

10. J Dagger

I didn’t really know much at all about Windsor’s history. That’s interesting. I’ll look more into it!!

11. evelyb30

There are two towns in the state who argue over who got here first. Windsor is one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted