Interesting Drafting Tool??..How was it used??...Who Made It??

Discussion in 'Tools' started by SPERLS, Dec 28, 2019.


    SPERLS sperls

    The only marking is an "F" on one of the larger pieces...Any help appreciated. CIMG1895.JPG CIMG1899.JPG CIMG1900.JPG
    scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Houseful

    Houseful Well-Known Member

    The piece that looks a bit like tweezers in the middle with the round screw bit on the sides is a ruling pen. You filled it with watercolour paint or ink and attached the nib to a pen like handle and drew lines on mount board to surround a watercolour painting or print. The little case on the left would usually contain leads for the pencil attachments. It’s a specialist drawing set but I’m not sure what the large pieces are for.
    Figtree3, SPERLS, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  3. scoutshouse

    scoutshouse Well-Known Member

    Possibly for attaching to a rod to make a circle with a large radius...

    These are fascinating to me, as the ink just hangs between the tweezer part through tension, and flows out (if you're coordinated) only when the pen moves across paper or film.

    I was lucky they invented inking pens with cartridges by the time I started working :)

    Cool, @SPERLS :)
    Figtree3, SPERLS, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  4. Houseful

    Houseful Well-Known Member

    You had to put a line of masking tape under your steel ruler before making your line, if you didn’t the paint often flooded under the ruler. Very annoying!
  5. scoutshouse

    scoutshouse Well-Known Member

    What mapmakers actually used for small to large scale cartography...
    Houseful, SPERLS and i need help like this.
  6. scoutshouse

    scoutshouse Well-Known Member

    I had to take a very simple inking test to work at a local sweatshop...

    They were kind to me (not many 19 year old girls wandered in there, that's for sure!) but couldn't resist telling me about the good old days - before they had erasers :)
  7. scoutshouse

    scoutshouse Well-Known Member

    I remember the tape, @Houseful - and the advent of beveled plastic rulers...
    Houseful, SPERLS and i need help like this.
  8. sabre123

    sabre123 Well-Known Member

    I used to tape a couple of coins under my plastic triangles to avoid the smear...even with technical pens.
    Houseful, antidiem, SPERLS and 2 others like this.
  9. scoutshouse

    scoutshouse Well-Known Member

    Oh yeah, I remember that trick, @sabre123

    I worked with one old timer who made his own ship's curves - etched with his name, "Doc" :)
    Figtree3, sabre123 and SPERLS like this.
  10. gregsglass

    gregsglass Well-Known Member

    My other half when she started Architect School she glued cork sheeting to all of her straight edges and such to prevent smears and slippage.
    Houseful, antidiem, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  11. scoutshouse

    scoutshouse Well-Known Member

    We etched all our gear with PMT solution. Funny the things you remember!

    I loved inking.
    sabre123 and SPERLS like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

    moreotherstuff Izorizent

    Polar Planimeter?

    (This is not something I understand.)
    scoutshouse, Figtree3 and Houseful like this.
  13. scoutshouse

    scoutshouse Well-Known Member

    For measuring areas... You "trace" around the area and the square area reads on the "elbow" element
    Houseful, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  14. moreotherstuff

    moreotherstuff Izorizent

    But is that what SPERLS has? One large piece being the pivot, and the other being the elbow?
    scoutshouse likes this.
  15. scoutshouse

    scoutshouse Well-Known Member

    No, @moreotherstuff... It is a mapping tool for measuring areas.

    Sperl's are for drawing circles.

    There are compass arms/inserts for smaller circles (that bottom element):

    Sperl's are beam compass attachments for bigger circles:

    Charvoz and K&E are two brands I recall off the top of my head, but I don't know what "F" signifies.

    Maker and possibly age would be the things that would make them more valuable :)
  16. scoutshouse

    scoutshouse Well-Known Member

    Any Jewelry and moreotherstuff like this.
  17. scoutshouse

    scoutshouse Well-Known Member

    (I see now etui applies to something more than sewing and vanity kits :))
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

    Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

    I have a ruler that has a cork liner underneath
    Houseful and scoutshouse like this.
  19. blooey

    blooey Well-Known Member

    This is a trammel or set of trammel points. I've used these lofting wooden boats.
    scoutshouse likes this.
  20. Erstwhile

    Erstwhile Active Member

    Could the "F" mark indicate A.W. Faber??
    scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Threads: Interesting Drafting
Forum Title Date
Tools Interesting tools seen on Eboo Jan 9, 2022
Tools Interesting vintage oilstone grinder Jun 3, 2018
Tools Interesting collection of “Early European Tools” Apr 1, 2018
Tools Drafting Set Mystery Material Aug 7, 2020
Tools Drafting or machine tool? Feb 26, 2020

Share This Page