Featured Interesting item from my city

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by daveydempsey, Mar 14, 2016.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW!!! Thanks! I much appreciate knowing this.
    ~
    Will you write them and tell them it is neither 'won'...nor is it 'Congressional', nor, for us, is it spelled 'Honour'?
    "...won the Congressional Medal of Honour"

3. daveydempsey

Well it is written in English for English language historical records, when I was taught English it was Honour and still is, not some bastardized lazy version.

4. KingofThings

I didn't say you spelled it wrong, the author did. It is our Medal of Honor, not someone else's to spell that name in any other way.

5. daveydempsey

He entered the British Colonial Civil Service, with his first appointment in Malaya. While in Malaya, he married Anne Rose Hewitt. A subsequent personal scandal and divorce resulted in Hulbert leaving Malaysia and arriving in the United States.

Sounds like he did something really bad and was unable to return home,and fled to the US, otherwise he would have been fighting in France or Belgium alongside my Grandfather in 1914.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. daveydempsey

The author spelt it right, in English for English readers.

Ruedi, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  7. KingofThings

This is incorrect. It is the name of the medal. If he wants to state the Medal of Honor was given in honour that is fine.
    -
    Spelt?

8. daveydempsey

Yes Spelt,
    Spelt And Spelled outside the U.S., the two forms are interchangeable in these uses, and both are common.

komokwa likes this.
  9. daveydempsey

Honour is English , Honor is American English.
    Same as Defence, the US used to spell it the same way but changed to Defense.

index.jpg

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  10. daveydempsey

This article is one of 20 key stories included in the primary school curriculum for the city.
    It is hoped children will develop a deeper understanding about some of Hull's greatest individuals and significant events, including William Wilberforce (a leader of the movement to abolish the slave trade) and Hull`s involvement in the start of the English Civil War.
    Naturally the children will be taught in their native tongue, English not American English, so the word is "Honour" -- just like harbour, maths, theatre, jam,jelly,tap, defence, licence, etc etc

If the lesson were taught in Welsh it would be called
    Medal Congressional Anrhydedd or in Gaelic it would be Bonn Congressional Oinigh.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. KingofThings

Yes, I understand this.
    It is properly the 'Medal of Honor' and no other spelling is proper no matter what person or country states it.
    A name is a name and not to be modified.
    For an example, and only that, is Ravey Rempsey ok then?

cxgirl likes this.
  12. KingofThings

I do appreciate all this information as I always want to learn and so that I state things properly in regard to all military services, ours, yours, Canadian and all others of whom we share the same goals.
    So I do understand what you have written and note that 'Congressional' would also be incorrect as I first stated.
    It is 'awarded' not 'won' and it is awarded by our Congress in our name.
    Congress has done, zip, zero, nada to earn it.
    3,510 Medals of Honor have been awarded to 3,491 individuals.
    I am here now to do my best to stand for, and in front of them to help you and others understand what this means, what it means to state anything in regard to them properly. The have surely earned it and more from me.
    ~
    I am even more in 'defense' of them at this moment having just been to Arlington National Cemetery in Virgina and to The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier where I watched for a while and also observed a changing of the guard.
    ~
    I leave this discussion now with this link. >
    http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/history/history_statistics.html

cxgirl likes this.
  13. daveydempsey

Turns out Mr Hulbert was not as "Honourable" as he is made to look.
    The reason he fled to the US was that he`d had it away with his wifes sister and got caught out.
    She (the sister)was recalled to the UK and her ship sank off the coast of Aden and she drowned.
    He could not face his family again, so he left in shame to the US, where he became a hero.

anundverkaufen and KingofThings like this.
  14. KingofThings

15. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

A real life soap opera.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

That's funny. My mother and father met when they were both in their mid-thirties in the Army. Both second marriages. She was told she couldn't have children, but then got pregnant with me. Her sister flew out to Ft. Leavenworth to help care for my older (adopted) brother. She and my father started an affair. After I was born, we moved back to NH where my aunt and father were caught out. Mom divorced him so he could marry her sister. He eventually took off never to be seen again. He was a drill sergeant and none of this seemed to affect this career.

17. KingofThings

WOW!!!
    Sounds like a movie or at least a book.....or maybe>>>
    ~
    Thelma's Abbey? ;)

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I know. I only remember seeing him once when I was about three before he ditched the family. Smart move on his part.

19. KingofThings

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wideyed::eek:
    Oh!

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I always say 'they' are crazy, but since I'm one of 'them' I must be crazy too!!

Draft saved Draft deleted