Intriguing silver goblet with a great story (1913-1942)

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Ex Libris, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

I think the design of the bumpy base originates from stoneware jugs in late medieval times, made in lower Rhine area (Raeren, Siegburg).

a901151c-c022-11e5-9d56-ab54b563d9e2.jpg

2. Ex Libris

I don't think your theory is that wild. It is surely possible this bowl was looted originally. Sadly I could not find out the details of the silver wedding in 1913.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You know us, we'd have to see evidence of that in silver.:playful:

Ex Libris and say_it_slowly like this.
  4. Ex Libris

I am looking for examples, but for now I cannot find any. I don't know much of silver, a bit more of stoneware jugs, as I was a volunteer in archaeology for years...

5. Ex Libris

Here are 2 stoneware jugs from my own collection, both with a lobed base. The right one is a misfired jug, damaged in the oven.

IMG_0642.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

(I also have a bit in my collection and was an archaeology volunteer though these aren't found much in the US)

Sometimes silver designs and ceramic designs do follow one another but it's also sometimes hard to know exactly what inspired a design centuries later. What is fashionable at the time evolves. I was just guessing that the silver may have been new in 1913 when it was presented the first time and remembered the Jensen pattern had similar elements and I believe was also from the 19-teens.

Do you know if the bowl tests as 92.5 silver or a different percentage? It might help narrow down the country of origin if different. Of course none of this is what you asked:).

Any Jewelry and DragonflyWink like this.
  7. Ex Libris

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have the bowl in my possession, it is in a small museum now, so I cannot re test it. I think (assume) we can safely say it is German and early 1900's. it was probably made by a Berlin silver smith or in that region.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Again, perhaps you could address the issue of size - is it really 20 cm/8" in diameter? Is it that wide across (diameter), or was the measurement taken around it (circumference)? Makes a big difference in determining its use...

Can be seen on these circa 1910s-'20s plated WMF beakers from the link below, that the construction of the base is similar - but the sawed-off appearance of the base rim on yours, as well as the bottom being a different material, sloppily soldered, would seem to indicate some sort of modification had been done.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-silver-plate-1909-wmf-art-453709778

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Ex Libris, Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll find any, I have never seen them. Not that I have seen everything, mind.;)
    Gorgeous, and the misfired one is charming, though they wouldn't have thought so back in the day of course.

Ex Libris likes this.
  10. Ex Libris

Thanks again for thinking along :). I looked the measures up, and I was quite wrong with my earlier comment. My apologies for that.

The largest width is 128 mm (5.03 inch) and the height is 108 mm (4.25 inch).

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Any Jewelry and Ex Libris like this.