Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mark Bahti, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Mark Bahti

Mark Bahti New Member

I grew up in the Indian arts business, taking over the shop from my father in 1972 and have a Master's in American Indian Studies from the U of Arizona but other than that, I'm not sure what to say so am excerpting a bit of my CV:

Current Professional Memberships

1986- Society for Applied Anthropology

1990- Royal Anthropological Institute

1992- American Anthropological Association

Publications

Books

1975 A Consumer's Guide to Southwestern Indian Arts. Treasure Chest Publications, Tucson.

1980 Collecting Southwestern Native American Jewelry. McKay Publishers, New York.

1981 Navaho Sandpainting Art, co-author with Baatsoslanii Joe.Treasure Chest Publications, Tucson.

1983 Southwestern Indian Arts and Crafts (Revised Edition). K C Publications. Las Vegas.

1987 Pueblo Stories and Storytellers. Treasure Chest Publications, Tucson.

1994 Southwestern Indian Designs. Treasure Chest Publications, Tucson.

1996 Pueblo Stories and Storytellers - revised edition. Treasure Chest Publications. Tucson.

1997 Southwest Indian Arts and Crafts. Revised edition. KC Publications, Las Vegas.

1997 Southwest Indian Tribes. Revised edition. KC Publications, Las Vegas.

1997 Southwest Indian Ceremonials. Revised edition. KC Publications, Las Vegas.

1999 Spirit in the Stone – a Handbook of Southwest Indian Animal Carvings and Beliefs, Rio Nuevo Press, Tucson.

2000 A Guide to Navajo Sandpaintings, with Eugene Baatsoslanii Joe. Rio Nuevo Press, Tucson.

2001 Southwest Indian Designs, Treasure Chest Publications, Tucson. Revised edition.

2001 Southwest Indian Weaving. KC Publications, Las Vegas.

2007 Stone and Silver: Profiles of American Indian Jewelry Artists, Rio Nuevo Press, Tucson

In progress:

Pueblo Necklaces, Pueblo Trade. (monograph) Projected: 2019

A History of Southwest Indian Jewelry. projected: 2019

With Clay in Hand. Projected: 2020

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Mark.
    I know your name well, and I am guessing Tom Bahti was your father. I can't tell you how happy I am to have you on board, and I'm sure I am not the only one.

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Welcome

kyratango likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Welcome.
    We get the occasional SW jewelry item.....& there's always a back and forth...Yes it's authentic...No it's not !!....so feel free to weigh in and set us straight !!:D

5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Welcome! Nice to have you here.
    We have a number of members who know something about Native American items, and are interested in discussing them. I have some knowledge of Northwest Coast Native carvings, but little knowledge of SW art and artifacts.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Mark!

AJefferson likes this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I understand that you "specialize" in Southwestern Indian artifacts but . . . I am curious as to whether you have ever heard of/studied the Town Creek (Pee Dee) Indian Mounds in Montgomery County, North Carolina. ;)

P.S. A big "welcome" to you.

9. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted