Featured Inuit art update, now with sig, can anyone ID?

Discussion in 'Art' started by sunday silence, Jul 4, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

inuit art.jpg inuit art.jpg 20200702_151642.jpg 20200702_151642.jpg I posted a pic a few weeks but I had not yet taken posession. Now that I have it here is a close up of the sig. It is Inuit art from Alaska hoping someone can ID this. tx 20200702_151642.jpg 20200702_151642.jpg

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what's there says Pa U ......
    why is the rest of the writing under the mat...?

@Mark London

Lucille.b, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It looks like reproduction of a stonecut by Pauta Saila from Cape Dorset, Nunavut (Canada). What are the dimensions?

4. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

5. Mark London

The title of the image is "Eskimo Girl Juggling" by Pauta Saila which was released as part of the 1966 Cape Dorset annual graphics collection. It is a stonecut produced in an edition of 50 copies. The proper measurements should be in the range of 24" tall x 33" wide. It should be pointed out that the English handwriting along the bottom of the Cape Dorset prints of the era (including the artists' name" were not done by the artists but rather an employee of the Cape Dorset Co-op. The artists of the day used chops (similar to Japanese printmakers) instead of signatures. There are three separate chops on the worthpoint print, Pauta Saila, Eegyvudluk Pootoogook (the person who cut the stone), and the red chop of the Cape Dorset print shop.

6. Mark London

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

From what I remember OP's mat looks 'home cut'.....pros didn't make those errors in the corners when cutting in the corners.....just sayin'.....I never saw a pro cut mat like that.....

reader, komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Mark London

Judging by the relative size of the label, there is no doubt that this is a calendar sized reproduction of the original stonecut.

9. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Yes that's a good call. It is not of the right sized you are correct. Does anyone have a ready place to go to ID the signatures of these Inuit artists? Its very hard to find a lot of info.

Thanks everyone

Draft saved Draft deleted