Featured Inuit Art

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by cxgirl, Jan 4, 2019.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ya , we see that.... BUT...u may have just pissed off Davey !! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

cxgirl, all_fakes, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jaspieandchazzi

Jaspieandchazzi New Member

It has been very enlightening to find out all this information - I didn't think my bear was Haida at all, and I agree correct attribution should always be pointed out, its how we acquire knowledge.

I do feel somewhat confused by Cree v Inuit
    The Cree Cultural Centre was very helpful when I contacted them and pointed out that Cree is actually a language rather than a specific Nation. The card that accompanies my bear quite clearly states that the artists identify as Cree, yet the carving would seem to be an Inuit thing. To go back to your analogy, does - 'we speak English, but are Irish' make sense?
    But The Inuit bit I need some help with. The carving I have seems to be an Inuit thing - The Cree Cutural Centre advised that they don't have much carving
    Also - traditionally amongst the Inuit - was it common for women to carve?

So this leads me back to 'my' bear - Nora Longpeter carved it, the wife of Leo Patrick. On a list of Cree artists I came across at least two with the surname Patrick, but is Longpeter an Indian or Inuit name ?

Lastly, I was supplied with this image by a gallery owner, which really helped me get my bearings!

Its wonderful to talk to you all and thanks!

Attached Files:

judy and cxgirl like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, @Jaspieandchazzi! Can you please give another photo of the bottom of the bear? It doesn’t look like it says Nora to me.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes well...many things have changed since the white invaders met up with the people they called the Injuns & Eskimo.
    For the sake of expediency , and avoiding a long lecture on Indigenous cultures of North America........your bear is carved by a Cree Indian , in an Inuit style.

Inuit women now carve...and some of the highest art forms in the culture are now done by women........ the past is now the past.

judy, cxgirl, all_fakes and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Look it's an Ojibwe name which does share language influences with Cree.You can search the name and family history of Longpeter throughout Canada and who knows what you can find. Maybe your bear was Chinese carved,many people can carve a variety of subjects not related to their ethnicity.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH34EUg_a0P8WVDJn-o0Fbg

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol all_fakes:)

judy and i need help like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted