Featured Invalid or infant feeder, or maybe something else!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by wildrose, Nov 30, 2019.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

French sterling silver Boyer Callot, with original box, missing spoon or maybe small ladle? It measures only 4" long including the handle and just an inch high. Thanks for any help! boyer.jpg boyer1.jpg boyer2.jpg boyer3.jpg

judy, DragonflyWink and kyratango like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Unless it is Aladdin's lamp, think you are right about infant/invalid feeder. Maybe there was also a food pusher, if this was given as a baby gift?

3. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

I believe it is an invalid feeder...Pap boat

judy, kyratango, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  4. necollectors

Most of the time they were interchangeable....baby...invalid...

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

This is a wild guess but maybe a spoon warmer?
    54AA856E-A94A-4B39-968C-9199EE6859DC.jpeg

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's quite small, silver, from a French jeweller. Christening gift, something that way. Not that it couldn't be used for an invalid, just think it was bought for a baby & whatever came with it was for feeding a baby.

7. necollectors

I see the box says it is from a Goldsmith on the Rue des Francs-Bourgeois, here's a thought. Jewelers import many high end wares into their jewelry stores, I am looking at the hallmark...I see a thistle...which to me signifies Scotland. Perhaps the piece is not actually French,,,but imported for this Goldsmith. Baby feeders tended not to have handles, and often had a rib on the end to fasten a teat, or a cap with a hose to a teat. This may be for a wealthy person who is accustomed to the finer things in life, and in old age or declining health would still require being feed with a 'silver spoon'.

judy likes this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with Scotland, it bears the French mark of Boyer-Callot, the symbol a crowned chalice - as suggested, though also used for invalids, this small piece was more likely intended as an infant feeder, the impression in the case seems to indicate a matching spoon...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Bakersgma, patd8643 and judy like this.
  9. necollectors

oh gosh Cheryl...I couldn't see that in the picture...You are right! How exciting!
    The Makers Mark is for Francois Auguste BOYER CALLOT.
    The Mark shows a C and a B surrounding a crown on top of a chalice.
    The Mark was registered on September 13th 1865 a couple of days after Eusebe Callot cancelled his mark and gave over his practice.
    Their shop was located at first at 42 Rue Des Francs Bourgeois in the Marais area of Paris, then 30 rue Sainte Croix de la Bretonnerie.
    The company offered a large array of high end silver pieces and was active until the late 1800s.

Draft saved Draft deleted