Is Cecil LaLoin print of any value signed Cecil Aldin

Discussion in 'Art' started by udoittwo, Mar 11, 2017.

1. udoittwo

udoittwo Member

DSCN5251.JPG DSCN5252.JPG DSCN5253.JPG DSCN5255.JPG DSCN5258.JPG Hello,
    Sorry for the poor pictures. This was very hastily done but I can post better when I can figure out how to eliminate the glare and take more time. If they have no interest or value then I won't need to take better picts. The yellowish color is from my camera that does that in low light.
    Anyway, I was given 3 prints for helping clean out a house of a 90yo gentleman that had passed away in Wilmingtin, De.
    I am curious if they have any value and what or how do I do anything with them if they do?
    1. Approx.[with white border] 30" x20"-75mm x 50mm. "DONCASTER RACES", "RACE FOR THE GREAT ST. LEGER'S STAKES 1836". Published May 24th 1837 by Ackerman & Co. -engraver J. Harris.
    2. Approx. + whiter borders 33 1/2" x 22". "HERRING'S FOX HUNTING SCENES" "FULL CRY". October 1867 by R. Dodson, engraved by J. Harris.
    3. Not including outer white border -73mm x 42mm - 28 1/2" x 16 1/2". Signed Cecil Aldin and painting signed Cecil LaLoin. Stamped "ARTIST'S 263 PROOF".
    I am fairly certain the are all original and very old. They may need some restoration if possible as they do have some yellowing. Guess he was a smoker and the Cecil Aldin has water damage on the outer border that I don't think is part of the actual print?
    Thanks for your time and any help and HAVE A GREAT DAY!
    Karl.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Please go back and use the full image button on them all and always do this. :)

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, udoittwo! It's very hard to see the details through the reflections on the glass, but there is one thing I can tell you - the artist's monogram is the intertwined full name of Cecil Aldin, using the l that both first and last have in common as the connection.

antidiem, Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  4. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

Welcome.. A few years back I sold 4 Aldin prints. Not sure I can say for how much on here so.. I would suggest you look for sold items on sites like Skinners, liveauctioneers.com and ebay. Keep in mind that condition can alter the value significantly and, prices on ebay can vary for the same item. Good luck.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Just some casual Googling suggests that, if they're original, They're worth in the high hundreds each.

But the same Googling suggests they've been reproduced, so you have to know.

I would take them out of the frame to photograph, and I would want some really crisp, tight details... but that's me. If the owner was a smoker, you might find that a lot of the yellow is on the glass and frame.

Maybe before doing anything, contact a few auction house like leeddie said.

Draft saved Draft deleted