Featured Is Everything But The House (EBTH.com) Legitimate?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Patrick Barr, Jul 11, 2015.

?

Is EBTH Legitimate?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Patrick Barr

Patrick Barr New Member

I was wondering if anyone has experience buying from EBTH.com? There is a sale going on that has a lot of interesting items that I would like to bid on.

Illuminated manuscripts, antique books, biedermeier furniture, engravings, moser crystal, art nouveau items.

The sale can be found here:

https://www.ebth.com/sales/7704-mclean-va-personal-property-sale/categories

They are a little sketchy on details. Are they trustworthy?

Here are some items they have for sale that I think are worth a look:

upload_2015-7-11_18-15-8.jpeg upload_2015-7-11_18-15-8.jpeg upload_2015-7-11_18-15-8.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

They look pretty dang professional on their site and thanks for sending me there! :)
    I await further evaluation from others. :)

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

While I know no one who has purchased from them, I personally know someone who used them to liquidate a household in Cincinnati about 18 months ago. They were pleased with the professionalism of the staff and with the results of the liquidation. The only "issue" that bothered them was that the staff kept trying to persuade them to leave certain pieces, which they were considering keeping, to be auctioned as they would enhance the auction. A laudable point from a marketing viewpoint, annoying when you really want to keep great grandmas silver...........

I started a thread about it on my personal forum and many of the users of this board commented on the eBay Antiques "group", but that was back in October of 2013 so I doubt it can be located.

4. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

I think I replied to the ebay thread. We live in the Cincinnati area and have purchased from them off and on for about ten years. They have grown and expanded to other cities. My dealings with them were good. They are very business like, for the most part describe the articles accurately. I don't know about their shipping because I always picked my item up.

My only complaint is that I can't find the "bargans" since they are grown so much.

5. KingofThings

Welcome Suzy! :)

scoutshouse and Brenda Anna like this.
  6. Tina

Tina Member

Oh that site is just brilliant. I read a bit on their timeline and wow 300+ employees this year. I may have found a new place to at least window shop.

Tina
    aka
    dssrtlady

7. KingofThings

Hi! Welcome Tina! :)
    My wallet is in terror and hiding under the bed from discovery of that site. ;)
    WAIT! Dessert Lady! What does that mean? You make them or just like/love them? ;)

8. Tina

Tina Member

King Thanks for the welcome, :) you have commented on some of my threads before (usually glassware and pottery) Yes dessert lady...........my eBay name and has been for quite a few years.......The name doesn't make sense in selling on there although it did to me anyway when I made it up back then because I was making/selling desserts at the restaurant I was working in at the time.

I looked at a few of their current auctions and it looks to be a buyer's delight on some of the items. Although it does kind of takes away some of the thrill of the hunt.

Tina
    aka
    dssrtlady

KingofThings likes this.
  9. alexis chacone

alexis chacone New Member

CROOKS on the shipping and they tell you what you want to hear Look at BBB reports

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mansons,
    Welcome back to the board. I have missed you. Hope it was work and health keeping you away.
    greg

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hi Greg. Unfortunately this thread is from last July. :(

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Greg, Mansons did recently drop in on a different thread (can't remember which one, though). He lost his Internet access so can't get here very often at the moment. He seemed to be doing fine.

As Bakersgma mentioned, his comment in this thread is an older one.

Brenda Anna and KingofThings like this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Thanks,
    I called him recently and he is extremely busy but in good health.
    greg

14. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I see this is an old thread but out of curiosity I looked up the BBB reports. Not a great track record. The yelp reviews are even worse. Shipping looks like a nightmare.

15. johnett

johnett Active Member

I have bought from them shipping is horrible. I also won some jewelery and they sent me crystal rabbits with a small mirror. I never got my jewelery they said it was lost.

16. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

I've purchased items from several of their auctions and always picked them up myself. I found them to be professional and they do post multiple pictures of each lot. Buyer beware, as usual.

17. Valley Girl 4 Shit

Valley Girl 4 Shit New Member

I won an auction of a set of jewelry at a sale in Bonita Springs, Florida. My credit card was charged, and I wanted for several weeks for my jewelry. I contacted them twice with no response.

The first response I finally got, they said they would look into it. Then no response. I contacted them again and they offered to refund me the shipping charge, which they did. Then I waited longer with no shipment. After another contact, they said they would refund my money with no explanation of the happened.

I was then shocked to see the same jewelry--minus two items--up for auction again. I contacted them immediately, several days went by, and I was finally asked to provide the original information and they would try to resolve the issue. I sent everything and received no reply.

The auction ended today, and I tried to win them again, but I didn't have the winning bid. I had a hard time paying more for items I had already won! I feel as if my winning bid the first time wasn't high enough, so they didn't send them to me.

I am furious and disappointed.

18. KingofThings

Quite an odd name but... Welcome! :)
    And sorry for that mess. :(

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  19. sangamonese

sangamonese New Member

I have bought several things from ebth
    the only problem I have had is overpriced shipping quotes, which I just ignored those items. I have gotten purchases both ways, shipped and picked up. you are much better off picking up if close enough to the sale location. I will bid on items I get reasonable ship quote on. The only problem I have had with shipped items is they lost 2 items, not the same sale. The money was immediately refunded. Of course I would have rather had the items but overall I have been totally happy with what I have bought and I have bought quite a few pieces. The pros far outweigh the cons and if you have been a successful eBay buyer you will be happy with ebth. :)

antidiem and KingofThings like this.
  20. Bill Richardson

Bill Richardson New Member

I don't do reviews but this requires that I let fellow bidders know. I have purchased many items from Everthing But the House and am pleased in general. However one piece I bought brings this condemnation to print. I bought an antique "flask" or "container" made of wood and covered in leather. The notation at the end of the description "Strong smell. Some mildew" Totally inaccurate. It has an order of death. Very pungent the smell that will gag you. Not of Mildew. They were very curt in their reply for my request for a Return Authorization. Their reason was that the strong smell and Some Mildew was separated by a period. Go figure that one out. I out $700 plus the shipping so say $750 and they could not care less.

Y.M., antidiem and Melissa Blanco like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted