Is it a replica or an original?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Irenka, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Hello,
    There may be some connoisseur of watches here...i found this beautiful clock in Austria, my searches reavel that this must be Dutch Frisian miniature "schippertje" alarm wall clock, but here is my question is it original from 1800s or is just midcentury replica? I know that the weights arent original and that some screws were replacete other than that i think that is original, i am no expert on clocks so any advice, thought would be very welcome.

DSC_1399 (Small).JPG DSC_1402 (Small).JPG Untitled-1 (Small).jpg DSC_1910 (Small).JPG DSC_1919 (Small).JPG

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely. Not sure about the age, but even the 20th century ones have value.
    It is a 'stoeltjesklok' or 'stoelklok' though. A 'schippertje' is in one piece and has a 'tail'.
    'Stoeltje' means little chair,;) the clock has feet and sits in the wooden surround.

Frisian stoel(tjes)klok:
    https://www.rikkoert.nl/friese-stoelklok-met-1-daags-uurwerk-011491990

Schippertjes were made for ships, so they had to be in one piece or the clock would fall out of its surround. The 'tail' on a schippertje is shorter than on a 'staartklok' (tail clock) due to lack of space on a ship.

Frisian schippertje:
    https://www.klokkenspeciaalzaak.nl/friese-schippertjesklok-noten-K75

I posted some Dutch clock links on the forum years ago. I have to go now, so I can't search for it, but maybe you could do it through the search box at the top of the page.

Draft saved Draft deleted