Is it possible this is an Italian Modern MCM chair made by Fasem?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by say_it_slowly, Jun 23, 2014.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This chair has no label or any identification of any kind but it resembles other MCM Fasem chairs I've found online that are made in Italy. I have never seen a Fasem chair in person and don't know if there have been similar chairs made by other companies in this Italian modern style or not. The labels on Fasem chairs I've seen online seem to be stick on and look as though they could peel off easily.

This chair is very heavy with a solid metal frame painted black. The paint appears to be original to the chair. The seat and the chair back are molded in a thick dense black foam like material with a textured surface and are quite comfortable to sit in.

Here is an example on eBay but in chrome and the surface looks different to me: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Vtg-Mi...379?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item25704fe60b

Italian MCM Fasem chair 1.jpg
    Italian MCM Fasem chair 2.jpg
    Italian MCM Fasem chair 3.jpg Italian MCM Fasem chair 4.jpg
    Italian MCM Fasem chair 5.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not sure what to tell you. The finish on the cushioning does look different than what I am seeing on-line. The other details seem to match as far as I can see. However, you might have to have an original side by side since most on-line photos don't include the fine details. Seems that this would be a difficult design to knock off for most manufacturers and they would cut corners somewhere. Here is the company website with the page for the P70 chair. There is a place to click for download of the spec sheet with dimensions for comparison.

http://www.fasem.it/portfolio/p-40-p-70/

3. say_it_slowly

Thanks Brad! I checked that site and it looks like mine is probably the Fasem p-70 designed I believe by Giancarlo Vegni and Gianfranco Gualtierotti . The measurements jive with mine though I didn't weigh it yet and it seems to compare well to the marked pieces in photos online.

I have no idea where to find another to compare it to in person. I've been watching as I've been out and about but haven't seen another piece of Fasem yet. This was a GW find awhile back and there was only one.

I seem to have an unintended collection of Danish and Italian modern and MCM pieces that I haven't been able to resist picking up. I've actually started shielding my eyes in certain shops to keep from dragging back anymore. My intention has been to sell most of it but it seems to be gathering (like an impending storm) instead.

4. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

I love how the legs taper down to those little bitty feet.

5. say_it_slowly

In person they're even more dramatic, kind of like shapely spider legs.

Draft saved Draft deleted