Featured Is it worth purchasing this clock to try to get it back to work?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marcos Scheuenstuhl, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Marcos Scheuenstuhl

Marcos Scheuenstuhl Active Member

Having recently started to be interested in antique clocks (I purchased my first about one month ago), I turn to this forum to get the opinion of those who understand more than I on the subject. I just came across this Samuel Marti clock, which is not working. Would this be a good asset to a collection, if I manage to get it back to work?

Additional info: Height 35 cm (13.78 inches), Width 20 cm (7.87 inches), Depth 14 cm (5. 52 inches).

1) Can anyone provide information on this clock? It has a "Medaille d'or Paris 1900” stamp, so I believe it was made after 1900. Would anyone have any idea of the approximate year of manufacture?

2) It is missing a hand. Does this devalue it too much? Or even with an adapted pointer it has its value?

3) Looking at the back of the watch, does it look like it has all the parts, or is there any part missing?

4) If I manage to get the clock to work again, what would its approximate market value be? I ask this to assess how much would it be reasonable for me to invest in trying to get it back to work.

Will appreciate opinions. Thanks!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's a very attractive clock. "Medaille d'or Paris 1900” (gold medal, Paris 1900) will be an award won by the company at a trade show in that year. Your clock will post date that, but probably not by a whole lot. The clock expert we had is no longer with us, but others might be prepared to step up. Do you know what the problem is? Maybe the movement just needs to be cleaned. It's my understanding that replacing a lost hand is usually not a big deal.

I know that the one time I took a watch to a jeweler for repair (which was decades ago) they wanted $70 just to open it up and assess it.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I can’t help, but it certainly is a handsome clock!! There is/was a John Delaney on the Antiques Roadshow who was doing appraisals for them…..not sure if he’s still doing it, but he does have an email address…..
    delaney@delaneyclocks.com. Has an awesome Clock business and Shop out in Townsend, MA! Gorgeous clocks for sale too!!

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Oh it's a beautiful clock! I wouldn't mind the missing hand, another can come along. I would wonder if the metal (is it pot metal?) at the top that appears to have broken down - if you will be able to bring it back to former luster? You may want to investigate if someone can do that for you, or alternatives. IF / WHEN you buy it, please come tell us and show us more pictures! :singing:

5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed a really attractive clock. Iam no clock collector or anything,but I have had some clocks in the past and they were fairly expensive to have repaired and worked on (and serviced) But obviously the cost depends on a number of factors. But you are thinking of buying this for your own collection then that’s also a different matter. If the price is good and the mechanism is complete then I would think it’s worth it (well to me) A missing hand is not a deal breaker for me.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

afantiques

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

LauraGarnet02 and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

so sorry to hear. a great loss.

10. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

11. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

I can't answer all of your questions, but I will offer my opinion as a habitual buyer and reseller of "stuff"

It's a beautiful clock that looks to be visually in fairly good order. If you have to pay someone to repair a clock, you will find most are not worth repairing. If you can disassemble, clean, service and repair a clock, you are a rare bird and can make money in the business.

If you can't do your own work, you want to find a resource locally that can and see what kind of deal you can work out to service and repair bits as needed so you have a solid idea of what your costs will be versus what the market will pay.

The demand for old clocks has plummeted. So, enter the field with caution relative to what you are going to buy. You can actually be picky in the market when it comes to most clocks. The old collectors are dying out, their collections are hitting the market and the kids, so far, aren't jumping into the old clock market like they did with old pocket watches, so the market is getting a bit saturated.

12. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

13. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

14. Marcos Scheuenstuhl

Thanks for your comment, George! Unfortunately I don't have a talent for repairing clocks myself, but I've recently discovered my interest in antique clocks and concluded that it would be lovely to have a few (not many). I have no interest in reselling or doing business with clocks. My biggest concern is just making sure that if I plan on purchasing a few clocks, I'm getting good samples that will allow my small collection to have its shine. Hence the concern with value, to get a sense of how much would be reasonable to spend on a specific clock.

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

certainly a good clock to start a small collection. it covers one of the main continental regions of clockmaking on both sides of the Franco-Swiss border in the Jura.

George Chaney likes this.
  16. oleg01

oleg01 Member

I apologize for the googol translator.
    I will try to help you.
    I am not a dealer, I just repair watches.
    Of course, the clock must work, otherwise the price drops significantly.
    This is a beautiful watch, it runs quietly and is relatively accurate.
    There are two main failures in this mechanism. Suspension of the pendulum (thin spring) and breakage of the gear teeth and after that the main spring breaks.
    If the pendulum is properly suspended, has free play and the main spring can be wound, then the watch just needs to be cleaned.
    To do this, you need to carefully remove the pendulum, pull out the mechanism.
    Put the mechanism in a jar and fill with cleaner WD 40. After an hour, use a brush to clean the dirt inside, you can also use a sharpened wooden stick. Leave on for 10 - 12 hours, brush a second time. Rinse well with gasoline. Do not use gasoline for cars. Only gasoline for lighters or similar. Gasoline should not leave a greasy residue. Then dry and grease the axles with oil. Apply oil with a needle, one capsi to each hole. There are holes for drums with a spring, also 5 - 7 drops of oil.
    If you have the will, you can fix any watch.
    [ATTACH = полный] 344865 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = полный] 344866 [/ ATTACH]

Attached Files:

cxgirl, Aquitaine, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  17. Marcos Scheuenstuhl

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation, Oleg. This will certainly be handy.

cxgirl, kyratango and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Great comment and info. Thanks

cxgirl, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  19. oleg01

oleg01 Member

You will definitely succeed.
    I will tell you how I started to repair watches.
    It was ten no ago.
    I saw a cheap pocket watch on Ebay, of course it was broken.
    I don't know why, but I bought them. It was a French watch with a broken balance.
    Then I saw a large lot of ten similar mechanisms. It was inexpensive, so I decided to buy and fix the watch. Of course, more than one balance did not fit my watch. But I fixed half of the mechanisms. I liked it. I started buying broken watches to give them new life. I made many repair fixtures, even a small lathe. Well, it must be a parody of a lathe.
    It's funny, but I never fixed those first watches ...

Attached Files:

20. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

The material appears to be Kingswood veneer, which is a very desirable style of wood and suggests this is of at least good quality. It enhances the value considerably in my opinion as this Louis xvi style (which kingswood veneer was often used) which was popular in 1900's is stil highly desired today and people pay a premium for it.

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted