Is painting of nude, middle age white woman by listed African American artist Sophie Coors?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 14, 2020.

1. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Giles Coors from Memphis is on Facebook - perhaps try a message to him thru that site.

i need help, DragonflyWink and reader like this.
  2. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I have a hunch this “mystery” can be easily solved.

i need help and DragonflyWink like this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Doesn't appear to be her work. Quality is way off. I dont see her painting with Parkinsons but I could be wrong.

stracci, i need help and CheersDears like this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I completely agree as I stated all along but I also know how Parkinson’s severely impacted an artist friend of mine to the point that his work become unrecognizable yet he thankfully continued to paint as long as he could.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Artists with Parkinson's most definitely continue to create, and it affects individuals differently, so it might not have even had much effect. Years ago, a young artist friend developed a tremor in his dominant hand and was initially diagnosed with Parkinson's, but it turned out to be a benign brain tumor - his solution to the tremor was to hold his right hand stable with his left, and I was always amazed at how well that worked for him (it looked so awkward).

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sophie Coors was a professional artist. From her work, it's also clear that she was a woman of sensibility and refinement. The nude is clearly the work of an amateur. (One way to tell is by the black outline used to define the figure's legs and feet. That indicates a lack of training and technique.)

Debora

7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I completely agree that the work is done in a naive style and would never consider this painting to be the work of the listed artist (and I still see underpainting on the signature) but I’m no physician and have no idea how a severely degenerative disease may or may not have affected this artist so at this point I think it’s a meaningless discussion as journeymagazine clearly has a ton of info to follow up on for playing sleuth. Wonder if it could be a younger relative also named Sophie?

8. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I second those who see a big difference in style, skill and talent. Be great to hear what the rellos ("relations" in Australian) have to say.

Any Jewelry, i need help and reader like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

701B0C54-CFA2-4BB6-A102-1593DE3DF64D.jpeg 7E2204B2-8191-4EDC-BFE2-64BD0CEBF6A5.jpeg B8C9F331-DB6B-4A1A-8AFA-7AA878F148FD.jpeg A5FAB85B-A2E8-46F1-8B68-11A5D22B7DCB.jpeg I think the back over painted picture is upside down. Maybe was some tour boats?
    I think reader mentioned it’s hard to tell about the signature under or over paint.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe more Imaginative, but it’s late. :hilarious:

reader likes this.
  12. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I will try to contact family and see if it is her.

13. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@journeymagazine - are you sure that Sophie Coors was African American? Or did you just jump to that conclusion because of the subject matter of some of her paintings? After poking around a bit on Facebook I'm pretty sure family members are Caucasian (if I am looking at the correct Coors members).

14. journeymagazine

I read it I'm sure - but now just waking up I'm going to have to go back and see if I can find it!

15. journeymagazine

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The painting reminded me of Manet's 'Olympia'. But it is actually not like Olympia nor La Maja. Funny how the mind tries to find something familiar.

reader and Bronwen like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Good for him!:)

reader and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

How about

upload_2020-7-15_8-43-31.png

reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry