Is painting of nude, middle age white woman by listed African American artist Sophie Coors?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 14, 2020.

1. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. I took journeymagazine at their word that the painting was done by an African American artist assuming they had researched that. I’m “assuming” that this may be a perfect example of the issues of assumption.

Regardless, I’m still fascinated with the possibility that a fluid gestural talented painter’s style could drastically change to that of a naive. I just can’t see it but stranger things have happened.

aaroncab, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

removed by me.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

aaroncab, reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. lizjewel

Am I alone in thinking that someone tried to pass this painting off as a Sophie Coors original? The "provenance" with the name and address is the first red flag to me. The fact that the painting has been executed on top of another motif of boats on a Thai river also screams "fake" to me. The dates are different 1982, 2000. What does that say except that the original (boat) painting was done in 1982, and the subject lady was painted in 2000 [if that is not false also].

I'd pronounce it an out-and-out fake, sorry!

5. i need help

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is safe to say Sophie Coors was not African American herself, here is info on her son, with his photo:

https://carnivalmemphis.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/2006_King_GilesCoors.pdf

In the third paragraph it says:
    "King Giles was born and raised in Memphis by his mother, the celebrated artist Sophie Coors and his father Giles Jr. or “Bull” to all his friends."

His father, Sophie's husband:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/g...giles-augustus-coors&pid=169066951&fhid=13790

No photo of Sophie yet.

Edit:
    inh just found a photo of Sophie. (Of course she did :playful:)

aaroncab, i need help and reader like this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’ve said from the getgo that they’re not the same hand but calling it fake on the info so far wouldn’t fly in any art history class of my life. IF it proves to be done by someone with the same name (a relative?) then it’s not fake.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A faker would copy the known Sophie Coors style and subject matter. A faker is in it for the money, and that is what sells.
    We simply don't know what is going on with this painting.

aaroncab, i need help and reader like this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

And isn’t this an interesting discussion? Loving it and hoping journeymagazine follows through with the family and posts.

10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree and I thought of Manet first too but the Odalisque has such long art historical reference. I’m definitely a contemporary person but off the top, even Titian let alone the sculpture posted above.

11. lizjewel

Playing D-vil's Advocate here:

What if the painting is not BY Sophie Coors but OF Sophie Coors? portraits-sc.jpg

smallaxe and aaroncab like this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

That would have no bearing on the fact that the painting is clearly signed “Sophie” That is a signature and not a title.

Meanwhile, they are not dissimilar looking women.

aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. lizjewel

Some artists liked to paint portraits of themselves... Frida Kalo was one notable selfportrait artist.

aaroncab likes this.
  14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

That is true.

15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Personally, just not really seeing anything that would indicate this is not her work (noting that while not shown, the Worthopedia link that started the 'African-American' misunderstanding does state that the painting was signed on the back as well as the front), but clearly the answer lies in a response from her family. The excerpt below, from her obituary, seems to suggest a looseness of style, as do examples of her work, but again no other portraits seem to be around:

"She died of a heart attack on the screened-in front porch where she did most of her paintings, said her son, Giles Coors III. The porch, in a retreat that had been in the family for many years, allowed her to be part of nature, and nature was one of the most frequent themes in her large body of work. "Trees were her love, with 80 to 90 percent of her pictures with trees in them somewhere," said her son. Her last exhibition, mostly oil on canvas, was at Memphis Botanic Garden. The art often had what he calls a "fantasy" quality. Mrs. Coors once said she did not like to put her art into a single category, but that others often mentioned a "primitive" quality. She said her "buildings were not quite plumb," and lighting and colors suited her own tastes and sensibilities."

Another illustrated book of hers, published in 2001, has to do with her Parkinson's, and would seem to indicate she was still working (unfortunately, couldn't find an image of the cover): https://www.amazon.com/Sophie-Swan-W-Coors/dp/0965680657

These two paintings were at a 2014 Memphis estate sale: https://www.estatesales.net/TN/Memphis/38111/706881

sophiecoorspainting-1.JPG

sophiecoorspainting-2.JPG

I kinda love this one: https://bertc.com/subfour/g125/coors.htm

sophiecoorspainting-4.JPG

These two were offered at auction for Carnival Memphis:

https://e.givesmart.com/events/7rq/i/_Live/4ka0/

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs067/1102950807475/archive/1103334829754.html

sophiecoorspainting-5.JPG

sophiecoorspainting-3.JPG

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Great research Cheryl. I agree that these (esp. Queen and the last one) are far more similar to journeymag’s painting but IMO her style must have drastically changed as I still see no similarity between the African American painting and the Odalisque. I also see similarity in technique on the trees with the birds to the Odalisque trees. All these paintings are far more naive. Since seeing these I have to agree with Liz that it appears to be a self portrait but what a crazy change in style from the first images posted of her work. To my eye the change is night and day but that’s true of many artists.

I do disagree with those that think the Odalisque appears amateur or untrained. It’s just naive. If one considers the work of Joan Brown e.g. it’s hard not to think a talented child was the painter yet she was
    an educated sophisticated artist who remains highly collectible and is in major American museums. I know nothing of this artist but still feel that journeymagazine needs to formally authenticate the work with the family but that’s just my opinion.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

18. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I understand - not sure if that's where I saw it. Does anyone know if the listed Sophie Coors was African American?

19. i need help

80D5410E-5ADD-4E6E-8F78-1C18D55F8DF2.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The listed Memphis artist Sophie Coors was white, as clearly evidenced in some of the most recent posts - you apparently took it that the Worthpoint example was by an African American painter rather than a depiction of African Americans...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted