Is painting of nude, middle age white woman by listed African American artist Sophie Coors?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 14, 2020.

1. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree. We’ve seen nothing to suggest that the artist was not the white lady who appears in the photographs and possibly in your painting. IMO journeymagazine you misinterpreted what you read.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Wow -looks like it could have been a self portrait?

3. reader

reader Well-Known Member

IMO absolutely do not say that without confirmation from the family but, yeah, a possibility as pointed out by Liz. They’re certainly similar looking ladies. Why not start working on contacting the family? You may learn everything you need to know from them whereas this is strictly an interesting discussion of conjecture and opinions.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

You may have two paintings by Sophie Coors. The reclining lady on one side, painted in 2000, and another painting on the flipside that she painted in 1982, and decided to re-purpose. I'm curious what's underneath that overcoat on the reverse. Is there a signature still partly visible in any of the corners?

Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  5. Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez New Member

Hello I recently found this painting in a dumpster near my work. Curious about its origin I found myself here. I have two questions. Why did journeymagazine throw this away? Also did anyone ever contact the family. I would myself but wouldn’t want to if several people have already.

Any answers would be appreciated.

thanks

Van_Poperin likes this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Painting is a bit like a Christmas fruitcake, isn't it?

Debora

i need help and DragonflyWink like this.
  8. journeymagazine

I didn't throw it away?? I never throw art away (part of my problem!) unless it's damaged - if there is something I don't want I put it out by mailbox and someone always picks them up.

i need help likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

Another possibility is I've twice sold the contents of the house I use to store my auction & thrift store finds in all at once to someone. Maybe they went through everything & threw out what they didn't want or have room for? (each time the buyer had to rent a BIG uHaul box truck to take everything)

i need help likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, all I can say is poor Sophie. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

Debora

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  11. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@Alex Rodriguez - perhaps you could share a photo of your dumpster find and identify what city you found it in?

12. Alex Rodriguez

AA870599-8874-4381-8E6A-ACEC3892AEEE.jpeg Debora has some jokes haha. Also sorry journeymagazine for making it seem like I was accusing you as a art dumper, I’m just trying to get some answers. I found the painting Nov 5th 2020 in a dumpster in little river Florida

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2021
    i need help, reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Alex Rodriguez

I sent a message to the son Giles Coors was m Facebook to see if the painting is one of his mother’s works

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Well it seems clear, that is the same painting. It would be greatly appreciated if you would let us know. As you can tell we’ve had differing opinions, Thanks and Welcome to the Forum! :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted