Featured IS Someone Being a BIT OVER Aggressive on the 'Bay' with this

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Aquitaine, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting. In Rainwater she says that "Standard" is a coin silver marking. If that's correct the spoon will have "scrap value" at about .900 fineness. Have you tested yours, @Aquitaine ?

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Aquitaine

No, @Bakersgma, I haven't tested yet, but mine also says only STANDARD.......

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

New Yorkers can get pretty passionate about Coney Island.

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

"stainless steal"

"The word Standard used on silver indicates it was made to the U.S. silver standard after 1837, so 90% pure. Please note, however, that the word Standard can also be used on silverplate to indicate something altogether different."
    https://sterlingflatwarefashions.com/how-to-tell-the-difference/

Clearly not silver

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

wow I was just looking at some of the feedback for that seller and almost fainted when I saw the sold price on that street sign.... and I am a native New Yorker so very little makes me faint these days.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Bakersgma

"can also" - not clearly. Needs to be tested, as I asked above.

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Ha, I thought their ebay username was "wishful-thinking".

I think sometimes people put exorbitantly high prices on with the make an offer function hoping that someone will offer higher than what it's realistically worth. I wonder how often that happens though.

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. tie.dye.cat

The price is marked out though so it sold for less than they were selling it for. How much less is a whole 'nother question though.

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Iiedye, I also thought it said wishful thinking LOL

when I view that most recent feedback of theirs, I don't see a cross out line but if you see it, I wonder really what it sold for,

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Pearls-Gasoline & Automobile stuff's been hot for years,that said-old street & road signs have really started to pickup in the last few years (esp. the earlier original porcelain signs-beware of course for billions of repos !).
    PS-Why do Automobiliana enthusiasts pay so much for auto-associated items ?
    Ans-If your auto collection stashed in yr custom-built garage is worth 5-10 million or more,why not toss-out $1200 for a street sign ? Heck,you just spent 6K on a pair of rare headlights.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. tie.dye.cat

Something strange about it - is see the strike-thru on here, but if I go to their solds, it doesn't show a strike-thru like some of their other solds so who knows.

Capture.JPG

I did a search on their solds and sorted from $ to $$$. It shows above a $500 item that sold, so they got at least that much for it.

I see other similar street signs listed for hundreds, so whatever they got, they did pretty well on it.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I collect souvie spoons. If this one is coin silver, I would be interested but NOT at that price. Not interested at all if silverplate. The seller should have researched their item, had it tested and at the very least polished it. The seller should convince me that their price is reasonable.

This one did not sell on ebay at $10 https://www.ebay.com/itm/3142489352...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Most sellers state that the spoon is plated.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

They may have wanted to list it at $17.50 instead of $175.00. I've done that a few times where I wanted to list at $18.95 but instead did a typo for $1895.00.

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch it's plated "white metal". Most spoons made that way were not silver.

Aquitaine likes this.
  16. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

yellow brass underneath

and the plating is not silver either

17. Aquitaine

@Bakersgma, I tried to test that and the 'Mexico' cuff tonight... guess my acids are maybe more like 3 or 4 years old....I used the 18K gold acid.....NOTHING happened, so I do think I must need a new testing kit....OH Goodie:rolleyes:, but the cuff polished up really nice with that Goddard's Foam!!! The spoon had stayed nice from when I posted it some time ago!

komokwa likes this.
  18. Aquitaine

HA, I'd be delighted to let someone buy it from me for anything even CLOSE to that aggressive listing price, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! BUT I DO realize that's out of the realm of REALITY!!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. Bakersgma

Just got a notice that the price has been reduced to $100. :rolleyes:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p Still about $90 more than it's worth. Retail. If you're on its home turf.

Draft saved Draft deleted