Is this 17th century chest genuine?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Dhruv Chevli, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

Hello
    I live in England and so does the seller.
    The seller states that these carvings on the panels are like bearded faces. The chest has its original ring hinges but one has been repaired. Please see the images below.
    Do you think this is a genuine 17th-century chest? Can you pinpoint which part of the 17th century it's from, early, mid or late?

Thank you
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pewter2 and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I like to look at your pieces, but I don't know anything about furniture. I did notice that your escutcheon looks wrong, as it would be necessary to hold a keyway big enough to lock down a heavy chest lid. I would expect it to be gouged and scratched too. This is just an observation. I don't have any facts to support this.

Upon further look, there looks like an outline of a bigger one.

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful chest-looks old to me.What do our furniture experts think those little dots in the 'curlicues' (curls) mean ? Can you disclose price ?
    PS-No prob if u want to keep $ under the radar.
    What are dimensions,can u also post pics of bottom,back,interior and closeup of front/back of lock plate and hinges ?

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Suggest you purchase this if price is not an object and you love it that much.
    I don't suggest anyone ever purchase brown wood furniture (or anything) as an investment in antiques.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

something I'd like to show @James Conrad .....but he ain't here....:oops::sorry::sorry:

moreotherstuff likes this.
  6. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

I noticed those holes too, I was thinking wood worm but these holes look too large. I'll see if I can get more photos

7. bosko69

The holes seem too uniformly spaced,and yes I wish Mr. Conrad were here with us too.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    komokwa likes this.
  9. bosko69

Roaring-Yr cyber skills are awesome !

komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  10. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

Roaring20s likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Roaring20s likes this.
  12. bosko69

13. bosko69

We don't find any 17th,18th or much early 19th century furniture on the West Coast.
    Here's the earliest (or one of,this is debatable) documented piece of American made furniture:Turned cherry chair,built in the Chesapeake region Virginia,C 1640-1660 & is in fact the earliest known piece of southern furniture extant... this chair could be the earliest known piece of American furniture.Sold at Christies a few years ago (before true provenance was established)to the Houston Museum for a real bargain- 288k. If the recent (updated research) is correct, this chair is now in the 'priceless category'.(Cited:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/earliest-known-piece-of-american-furniture.19315/)
    southern chair.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  14. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

Makes sense as older furniture is very rare in the US. I think the oldest known turned chair in the UK is at Hereford Cathedral, they say a king sat on it centuries ago. They estimate it's at least from the early 1300's. However it's not for sale

Born2it likes this.
  15. bosko69

There were Spanish settlements in the US in the 1500's,but one the earliest English ones was Jamestown,Virginia in 1607,this chair is from (at the oldest 1640)-so are there any undiscovered/unexamined pieces from between 1550 and 1640,a span of 90 years ?...that's a long time to be sittin' around in the dirt.

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd say it's relatively expensive. I know it seems daft, but you can buy 17th C chests for a few hundred here.

My dining table was made in abouut 1780. ;)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. bosko69

I would love to find a little 17th century strongbox ! It might look a little out of place in an MCM Ranch House-but we like eclectic,and a piece like that would have some deep mojo & gravitas.
    Who across the Pond has my treasure chest laying around ?

18. Dhruv Chevli

Dhruv Chevli Member

I have been able to get additional photos of this chest. Please see the link below. I couldn't upload them here they're too big. I assure you the link is safe!
    https://imgur.com/a/cJyue0G

This is what the seller said when I asked for photos
    The draw linings and bottom boards have been replaced. The original lining boards were most likely made from softwood such as pine as they often were, it's likely that they were a victim of woodworm so were replaced, probably in the late 19th Century.

All other parts of the Coffer are original and in good solid condition including the ring hinges.

The feet have had no hight added or repairs as is often the case.

The carved front is a wonderful and fine example of 17th Century reginal work.

19. bosko69

I dunno Dru,but I think ya might be al lil' bit in love,and you member what Paul sang-'yeah i might care too much for money,cause money can buy me love !'

20. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The lyrics actually are "Cause I don't care too much for money
    But money can't buy me love." I don't know what your statement has to do with Dhruv's proposed purchase of a chest and helping him with knowledge of 17th century chests. How he spends his money is his decision.

BoudiccaJones and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted