Featured Is this a mini oil lamp shade or a weathervane glass ball?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by vintagerobin, May 14, 2022.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

This came in a lot of mini oil lamps. I first thought it was a shade for a lamp. But the top and bottom openings are pretty small and the same size. Most of these shades have one opening larger than the other. I'm not sure a small chimney would even fit through this.And I had no luck in my searches finding one like this.

Someone suggested to me that it's a glass ball for a weathervane. It's on the small size, 3", but it's possible.

It's smooth on the outside with 2 mold seams and has thick ribbing on the inside. What do you think?

100_5737.JPG 100_5739.JPG

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Shotgun-shooter's target ball?

judy likes this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Looks more like Lightning rod ball without the end caps. With it being ruby red it could be worth a hundred $? If it is old enough the ruby red glass was made including uranium. Check to see if it glows under a Black Light!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  4. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20220514-191824.png

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Just the center of a boudoir lamp.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I could see that being correct - after looking closely the "collars" don't look like LRB collars

Draft saved Draft deleted