Is this a Native American saddle blanket?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by wildrose, Jan 19, 2020.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

anyone know anything about this piece? It measures 36" by 51" not including the fringe. Thanks for looking!! saddle.jpg

saddle1.jpg

saddle2.jpg

saddle3.jpg

saddle4.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i do not think so..........

Christmasjoy and wildrose like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It reminds me of a dhurrie, except those are completely flatweave. So are Native American rugs and blankets btw.

Christmasjoy, judy and wildrose like this.
  4. wildrose

Does the lazy stitch tell us anything?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

No, not a saddle blanket, nor is it Native American. The Navajo are the only Native Americans who weave rugs (which this is) or saddle blankets...and they use a unique type of loom and weaving technique which results in a textile without fringe on both ends (unlike a dhurrie or kilim.)

Saddle blankets are either single (roughly 30-34" square), or double (rectangular, in the range of 30-34" x 60" or so, used folded in half.)

Some Native American "Sunday" saddle blankets do have fringe on both ends, but it is added on after the textile is woven and taken off the loom. The fringe is not an extension of the warp threads, as most fringe on non-Native American weavings is. It is simply an added decoration, which can be removed without harming the weaving itself.

Besides the fringe, this textile shows a number of non-Native American techniques, like the decorative stitching, and what appears to be a "pile-like" section.

Sorry, I can't tell you where this is from, only that it isn't a Native American saddle blanket.

6. wildrose

Thank you for the detailed information.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

No, definitely not Native American, (or Central or South American, either). There are some Caucasus/Afghan/Central Asian pieces that use flat weave combined with pile woven areas, but the pastel colors are not right for traditional pieces. The photo of the back is not clear enough for me to tell, but it looks like it might be done with a latch hook rather than traditional hand knotting. It might be someone's pastiche of techniques and styles, with no specific ethnic origin. The colors do look more like an Indian/Pakistani dhurrie, as AJ suggested, so perhaps it is a modern variant.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted