Featured Is this a paperweight?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by quirkygirl, Feb 27, 2017.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

What did I just buy? I'm guessing that it's a paperweight, but I can't find any other similar ones online.

The solid glass is a cube-like shape that is slightly smaller on top (glass is 2½"tall, 2" square at top, 2¼" square at bottom) - making it a trapezoidal prism or something ... weight over 1 pound.
    The metal knob on top is sterling and I think those are Gorham marks for 20th century items (please correct me of I'm wrong) ... appears to be glued to the glass. I have not polished it yet to avoid any shine from obscuring the marks which are hard to make out. As you can see from the close-up shots, I haven't even cleaned the layers of dust in the nooks and crannies of the silver.

Has anyone seen one of these or does anyone know what it is?
    P1120279(1).JPG P1120287(1).JPG P1120286(1).JPG P1120283(1).JPG

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Is think exactly that. Maybe for use in a jewelry shop?

quirkygirl likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you polish it the marks will show better.

Wonder if it is part of a desk set. Sort of a press for blotting. Did they do that? Lay a blotter down and press?
    Off to google.

quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

5. quirkygirl

Guess I'll go polish it then ....
    I've found many examples of inkwells ... but no other glass and sterling desk accessories ... maybe Google will like you better than it does me ;)

6. quirkygirl

OK, gave it a quick sponge bath with Goddards silver foam polish ... looks a bit better but the marks are not complete due to the curved surface. I still think they look like Gorham though ... also able to more clearly see the mark to the right of the word sterling ... looks like either B405 or 8405 to me.
    P1120290(1).JPG P1120293(1).JPG P1120298(1).JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  7. quirkygirl

8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

try putting a few papers under it....& see what happens...

Rayo56, quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
  10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAaaaaaaaa...*

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'm staring to think this puppy is a marriage.....like...the way it's glued on...?

12. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I think this is a homemade affair. I'd say it was the handle from an old rocker-blotter that was glued onto a piece of glass that was cut specially for it, and turned into a paperweight.

13. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I vote marriage also, Gorham would not put something out with those glue marks visible.

14. quirkygirl

Thanks, Susan, for confirming that I was reading those partial marks correctly and looking for similar items.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. quirkygirl

Thanks guys, that thought (marriage) crossed my mind as well. If so, it will fit right in here at the home for misfit stuff! :)

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  16. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

IMHO--yes ...a marriage...though..

KingofThings likes this.
  17. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not unusual to have a handle on a paperweight, but this is, as already suggested, a marriage (personally, would call it a 'make-do'). Hard to tell on my phone, but it appears to have a piece in the center that was also glued - if so, would lead me to think that the handle was originally the lid to a mucilage/glue pot, similar to the LaPierre piece linked below. The 'B' prefix on the Gorham production code was used starting in 1898 on, among other things, desk accessories...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/152429848817?_mwBanner=1

~Cheryl

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  18. quirkygirl

Thank you, Cheryl ... yes, there is a 'stem' running down from the center of the knob to the surface of the glass. I wonder if the original 'whatever' that was under this silver knob got broken and the owner decided to put the knob to some good use - it is functional as it keeps fingerprints off of the glass weight.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Draft saved Draft deleted