Featured Is this a pipe and match holder?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joan, Jun 12, 2018.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

2. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I thought you saw my earlier post with the dimensions: The size is 9" tall with a 6" x 6.5" base, and weighs 2 lb. 13 oz. The holes are about 1/2" diameter. The upper tier is about 3 3/8" from the table surface (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/is-this-a-pipe-and-match-holder.28013/) I rolled up pieces of paper to fit tighter in the 1/2" holes and they do stand upright, but it still seems like people wouldn't want the tip of their cigarillos or cheroots to rest on the top of a desk or table (but maybe this piece originally included some type of tray underneath). The paper tubes are about 7" tall, so the hat interferes with the first two on the top tier. After I took the photos, I looked up the typical length of cigarillos and it said 3-4", which would be too short to easily grasp from the top tier. A website for Kentucky cheroots said they're 5 1/2" long, which would be a better length, but would extend above the hat brim, so a couple wouldn't stand upright. I don't know what the typical length of cigarillos/cheroots would have been at the time this object was made.
    PipeHolder-17.jpg PipeHolder-18.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

No, I'm sorry. Not the first time I have thought I checked for the answer to a question carefully & still managed to miss it.

A rolled tobacco product would have a quality the rolled paper does not have: it could be slightly compressed when inserted & push back [edit: with more force than the rolled paper] against the walls of the hole, keeping it from touching the bottom.

Joan likes this.
  4. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bronwen, for your explanation of how a tobacco product could fit snugly and not touch the table/desk surface. I'm now convinced that this was intended for smokers of small cigars or cheroots. And the look of the old man is kind of similar to some of the strange characters I've seen on old majolica tobacco jars. I really really appreciate everyone who contributed to this evolving discussion -- as far as I'm concerned, the mystery has been solved.:happy:

BoudiccaJones and komokwa like this.
  5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted