Is this a real 1704 Gerard Valk Map of Southern Italy (Kingdom of Naples)?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 30, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

What are laid lines? What should I look for?

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

If the paper dates from the early 18th century, it would have been made by hand. The paper maker used a mold, made of a rectangular wooden frame with several cross bars. Fine wires were stretched across the length of the frame - the laid lines - and another set of wires secured them to the cross bars - the chain lines. The mold was paired with another open frame called the deckle. The paper maker held the mold with the deckle on top, and dipped it into a wet slurry of paper fibers. The deckle forms enough of an edge to catch a thin pool of the fiber slurry on top of the wire mold. It is allowed to drain, the fresh sheet of paper is couched onto piece of felt to absorb the moisture, pressed, and then hung to finish drying. The process leaves distinctive marks on the final sheet, which can best be seen if you hold it up to the light.

[​IMG]
    https://helenhiebertstudio.com/make-your-own-mould-deckle/

[​IMG]
    http://www.mywingsbooks.com/coll-terms/pprlaid_.shtml

[​IMG]
    from Diderot's 18th century Encyclopedie.

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you 2manybooks - I'll look closely & see (but being stuck to a board may make it harder to see10

Draft saved Draft deleted