Featured Is this a Staffordshire doggo? And is he real or a repro? Thank you xx

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by BoudiccaJones, May 6, 2022.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Have had this doggo for a while, he's beautiful I think.

Not sure if he's an antique or a repro?
    I've had a good look and he looks to be good,to me, but I am as ever,pretty clueless.
    I don't think he's poured, he looks to have been made in a press mould.
    He has no hole in the bottom,either. But I could very well be interpreting these clues wrongly.
    I know some repros are old themselves, this one feels as if he has some age at least.
    He's approx 8 inches (21 cms) and I only have one.

Sorry for the pics, they are worse than I thought.
    My cat was in the place I take pics usually and ofc I can't move her.
    I had to move my doggo instead. She's more obliging. (Though it was her own bed!)

I hope the light in these pics is good enough x
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you xxx

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Is it normal to have a vent hole in the back?

judy likes this.
  3. BoudiccaJones

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like a Victorian one, but agree it does look like it has some age. They were remade in the 60's (by Beswick most notably along with others). Possibly from this period.

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  6. BoudiccaJones

According to the website linked above, having a hole under the base doesn't mean its new but most of the newer ones do have it. Having no hole in the bottom isn't definitive but it's a clue.
    Don't know how reputable that site is, and some of the other sites I looked at probably got their info from that site,or a common source, as they say about the same

I of course could be wrong, he doesn't feel as late as the 60s. No problem believing it's not Vicky but I'd say,in my ignorance, that he's maybe older then the 60s. He feels older than that. But as I don't know, could well be that late

judy and komokwa like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's not just the holes you need to consider. See the pronounced mould line down the spine, and the lack of character in the painting on the face. The way the base is formed doesn't look right to me either.

Pat Dennis, judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Ce BCA makes some good points.....maybe some age, but not liking the decoration, or lack thereof.....or the 'heavy' mould line.....location of the vent hole doesn't worry me though!

judy likes this.
  9. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

1940s I think. I have a very similar pair. They have the thick rim when looking at the base (for want of a better term). They also have similar "soft" features like the hair for instance. I.e. the features arent as sharp. The paint on mine are a little different. The guy I got them from is an auctioneer and when I asked him the age he told me they were from the 40s and pointed at the base. I dont remember what his exact words were but he seemed to indicate something about the base.

Also I think I mine are a little lighter than older ones the same size. Probably the walls are thinner.

A small tap hole usually indicates late 19th century. this is what I recall MOS saying. Also another way to identify 19th cent. staff. is the glaze seems to seep under the rim and onto the underside, so you see a different colors on the rim of the base. Im not sure if the position of the tap really matters. Lots of "flat back" staffordshire has tap hole in the back wall. But lots of others have tap hole in the bottom.

I usually try not to identify ceramics because I am not that well versed. But just repeating what I think I have come to understand. Maybe mothersoldstuff can comment.

10. sunday silence

I just took another look at mine. They actually have the same red mouth and the yellow part of the eyes. They have the same thick rim of the base but mine DO HAVE a tap hole in the bottom. And they don't have that mold line that Ce BCA mentions. They are a little light, maybe 4 pounds each and they are huge.

Its the softer features of the molding that really struck me as most similar. Again Im no expert just explaining what I notice.

EDIT: its a firing hole in the bottom of each of mine. About 1/4" width.

judy likes this.
  11. sunday silence

how much does the dog weigh? To me the newer pieces seem lighter.

12. BoudiccaJones

Well, yes I know it's not *just*the hole, I mentioned it because someone else did...if you compare to others, the older ones ( maybe not antique but older) tend to have paint like this one, as an example. Newer repops don't have paint that's so paint-y, and the mould line should be there. If it were a newer it wouldn't have a mould line, was poured in one piece. With a hole in the base.
    If a repop, I'd say an older one x

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  13. BoudiccaJones

Thank you...these don't *feel* repop-py, and it should have a mould line as it was made in two pieces. I don't know if maybe this doesn't translate well in pictures but the paint isn't flat. it's actually quite characterful.

Regarding the firing hole, from what I read not having one isn't a bad sign. Don't want to get hung up on the hole.
    Mine is heavy for his size
    Thanks all xx

14. BoudiccaJones

He's heavy for his size x

15. BoudiccaJones

Thank you..could well be a 40s repop, Thanks xx

16. BoudiccaJones

I'l try and take better pictures of the painting, in hand it's not at all flat. I know it's impossible looking at pictures online to be utterly sure but the decoration on mine looks more like older than some of the repros. I don't know how reputable these sites are but on a couple,they claim the vent hole is an identifying factor.
    The older ones were made in two pieces. A lot of newer ones are slip cast or so they claim. A mould line doesn't give me the heebies. There should be one,as it's made in two parts
    This site for example. None of the older ones I've seen look much different to mine.

[​IMG]

I walk past very much newer ones of these every weekend at booties...the paint on this one's lovely, I'll try and capture it better ( shall have to move my cat) xxx

17. sunday silence

what does it mean a "repop?" Is that referring to a specific time period?

18. BoudiccaJones

I am sorry! <3 No, it's a word we ( my Sindy friends & I ) use instead of saying repro. (I have no idea why. Easier to say repro actually. xx)

19. sunday silence

20. BoudiccaJones

I have no trouble at all agreeing he's most likely 40s. Does look like them,doesn't he? I wouldn't be too shook if he were a little older but I concur that you are a lot more knowledgeable than I am.

Many,many thanks for your help, all of you, been very interesting!xx

Draft saved Draft deleted