Featured Is This An Oak Coffer?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by TraceyB, Oct 17, 2020.

1. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

I had a quick check this morning and no evidence of paint but will have a better look when I get home from work.
    Thanks.
    Tracey

2. TraceyB

I have checked really carefully and no paint. There does seem to be a stain of some kind on the chest. The wood underneath is a slightly lighter colour. Would it help if I took some pics of the joins? I'm not quite ready to give up yet :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They were often stained - and more photos can't hurt. ;)

TraceyB likes this.
  4. TraceyB

Great. I'll try and get some good pics of the joins after work tomorrow.

5. TraceyB

Hi @James Conrad and @Any Jewelry. I have been re-reading through some of my original threads and found something interesting today. I turned the coffer on it's side and noticed it looks like the wood has been stained or painted. AJ I think she noticed this on the front of the coffer when I first posted. I have included a couple of new images below as well as a couple of the original images which are now full size :happy::happy::happy: 20210126_103400.jpg 20210126_103415.jpg 20210126_103432.jpg 20210126_180100.jpg 20210126_180120.jpg 20210126_180143.jpg

Van_Poperin, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This may not be relevant, but I notice the lid is a lighter/different color from the rest of the piece. I wonder why?

TraceyB likes this.
  7. TraceyB

Yes. It does look lighter but I think if it has been stained it has worn over time.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Daeman

Daeman Member

That's a lovely chest Tracy :)

TraceyB likes this.
  9. TraceyB

Thank you Daemon. I'm about to send it off to have it cleaned up a bit :happy:

10. Daeman

Daeman Member

I'm sure it will look even better all cleaned up, best of luck with it. I'm sure it will be in your home for years to come.

TraceyB likes this.
  11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Tracey, before you send it off for cleaning, please ask the furniture people here. The cleaning may remove all the patination which will likely ruin the piece. Bronzes have been ruined that way. @James Conrad @Any Jewelry @Fid

Any Jewelry and TraceyB like this.
  12. TraceyB

Yes, thank you for your comments. I definitely don't want to ruin it in any way.

Houseful likes this.
  13. Houseful

If it were mine I would just Hoover it out, check for any live woodworm and wax it. It’s a lovely old coffer, useful too!

TraceyB, Any Jewelry and gregsglass like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree.

TraceyB and Houseful like this.
  15. TraceyB

That actually sounds like very good advice :happy:
    Thank you Houseful

Houseful likes this.
  16. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The photo of the bottom of the chest looks like black stains from the nails.
    The chest is old but I don't think period, it probably has been stained that dark color, the top carving looks later as you see raw unstained wood where it was carved.

TraceyB likes this.
  17. James Conrad

I don't see any reason not to clean or even refinish, I don't think it's period, in the photo of the chest interior, the rails are much too sharp, smooth and perfect to be rived & planed by hand.
    The dark stain is probably meant to simulate age as period chests often turned dark/black primarily from smoke.
    It looks like the chest has some nice quarter-sawn oak figure that is hidden by that dark stain. If it was mine, I'd want to see that figure enhanced, not hidden.

TraceyB and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Houseful

I suppose it depends who’s doing the cleaning and what clean means to them.

19. TraceyB

Thanks James. I do listen to your comments carefully. Please forgive my ignorance as I had to look up the definition of period :shy:
    ,Every time I jump onto this site I learn something new. When I meet with my antique restorer man I will be able to share your comments and those of others with him and see what he thinks.
    I really appreciate your input. Thank you :happy:

James Conrad likes this.
  20. James Conrad

Yes, terms can get confusing with old furniture in a hurry, particularly old construction terms and techniques.
    This is the best way to determine exactly what's what with a piece, photographs often lie with furniture, what is easily seen in person is MIA with photos, the camera just does not capture vital details well for some reason. The restorer will be able to give you options that best meet your needs and preferences.

Figtree3 and TraceyB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted