Featured Is This Antique Unsigned Marble Bust A Grave Marker Or A Regular Decorative Art Work?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SYNCHRONCITY, May 13, 2020.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Like as not, but all I know is it came from eBay. Doesn't everything?

bluumz, SYNCHRONCITY and Aquitaine like this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

@SYNCHRONCITY , we have the same problem.
    I like jewelry, antique dolls, and rocks.
    Now I like perfume bottles, and it's all your fault!:woot:

SYNCHRONCITY, Figtree3, Fid and 3 others like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes , after a few years spent on the ebay boards helping others, I found it necessary to use a Godzilla avatar to protect myself! Eventually, Godzilla was morphed into various holidays by a humorous artist - N.S.S. - for which I am eternally grateful.

I love your hair "chains" as watch fobs and used as doll joolz! Your display boxes are pretty fabulous too!

4. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

:joyful: Perfume bottles can become a huge addiction, lol

stracci likes this.
  5. SYNCHRONCITY

Thanks for your compliments.
    Good ole' Godzilla. That is the only monster who I can say I love, lol.

Those display boxes/cases are pretty cool. They are cheap and come in all different shapes and colors too. They are great for displaying all sorts of things. If you need any here's where I got them:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Floating+display&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

antidiem likes this.
  6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I really liked N.S.S...….many years ago I invited him to these boards, but he never joined, unless incognito under an alias.

antidiem and SYNCHRONCITY like this.
  7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Bronwen, antidiem and SYNCHRONCITY like this.
  8. SYNCHRONCITY

That looks like me right now because I have been on house arrest here in New York due to Covid19 for 60 days, lol :D

Bronwen, Darkwing Manor and antidiem like this.
  9. antidiem

Thanks for the link, I didn't even realize display boxes were an inexpensive option until I saw yours.

Thanks! He was very talented with photoshop, I hope he's still got his artwork up and running! He gave us all great joy with his talents! :joyful:

10. antidiem

reported spam

Darkwing Manor and SYNCHRONCITY like this.
  11. SYNCHRONCITY

@antidiem Your're welcome. What is cool about those display boxes is the display area is not made out of glass. Instead it is a stretchy type of clear film that conforms to the items shape.

Bronwen, antidiem and Darkwing Manor like this.
  12. Darkwing Manor

What a myoclonic jerk.

Bronwen and SYNCHRONCITY like this.
  13. Darkwing Manor

Thanks for the link! I haven't seen those before. Do you know if they are archivally safe? I read all the posted descriptions, reviews and questions, but there was no mention if they were acid-free and not off-gassing. I tried to ask that question but I was blocked because they said I haven't bought enough on Amazon to qualify.

SYNCHRONCITY and Bronwen like this.
  14. antidiem

OH!! I didn't realize that! That is VERY cool! :joyful:

Thank you for pointing this out.

15. SYNCHRONCITY

That is a good question. The little display windows are basically made out of the same type of plastic as a much thicker version of cling or saran wrap. I have a feeling since they are cheap, made in china cases, that they wouldn't be acid-free or off gassing. I wouldn't risk putting rare stamps, old photos or paper in there unless that question is answered. I put old hair jewelry in there and took a chance because hair is really sturdy and I just keep my displays out of sunlight and away from heat.

Bronwen, Darkwing Manor and antidiem like this.
  16. SYNCHRONCITY

Do you have any antique dolls in your collection? If yes, Could you post some pics for me to see? What kind do you like?

Bronwen likes this.
  17. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I only have two right now.
    The first is an Armand Marsaille #370
    I found her at an estate sale.
    IMG_20200516_072041.jpg
    The second doll was a yard sale rescue. She was dismembered in a flour sack! I had to restring her and make her an outfit.
    She is a Hamburger doll, Viola #8.
    IMG_20200516_071931.jpg
    I also have a collection of Japanese dolls, including 4 vintage Ichimatsu dolls.
    My sister has a monster collection of Antique German dolls. She probably has 40 of them.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  18. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i found the pics i had DSC00279.JPG DSC00280.JPG DSC00284.JPG DSC00285.JPG

SYNCHRONCITY likes this.
  19. SYNCHRONCITY

It is definitely a kit doll. The coloring and style of glaze is way off for it to be an antique china head doll. I have been collecting antique china and bisque head dolls for over 20 years. Once you've seen so many you just know by looking when you see a kit doll or a reproduction. This was a copy of a German low-brow Hertwig doll circa late 1890's-1915.

Some of the later German lowbrow dolls did have names on the back, but they were called pet name china head dolls and were also made by Hertwig. Those ones would have a single name marked on them with names such as Helen, Bertha, etc. You would never see a last name on one of those antique dolls.

The marking on the back of the shoulder head means one of two things. Oda Rice was most likely the person that made it from a kit and marked it with her birth date. There were no such antique German doll makers or doll models by the name of Oda Rice.

A lot of people who made these kit dolls signed their full names on the back and once in a while put their birthday (not very often). More often they would put the year it was made instead. It looks like it was made sometime in the 1940's-1960's. If the original clothing was made out of rayon, acetate, polyester or polyester blends then you can date it more towards the 60's or later. Antique doll clothing was never made of these man made fabrics and were mostly made out of cotton, silk, taffeta, satin, brocade, etc and more natural fabrics. The dress looks original to her.

The other scenario is sometimes people faked these dolls and sold them as antique china head dolls and this person could have put the date of 1898 to fool someone into thinking it was old. This is less likely what happened here. I think the first scenario I mentioned is closest to what was done. I hope my info has helped you. If you have anymore questions, please ask at any time.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Figtree3, antidiem and lloyd249 like this.
  20. SYNCHRONCITY

DOLL 4.jpg DOLL 7.jpg DOLL 1.jpg 1880's German Kestner Lady Doll
    kestner 1.jpg

1860's Alt Beck & Gottschalck German China Head Doll
    DOLL 2.jpg

Antique German Circa 1900-1905 Kestner 168 doll
    DOLL 3.jpg

Circa 1890's French Tete Jumeau Doll with 1950's German Teddy Bears
    jumeau.jpg

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted