Is this anything?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Balder, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Balder

Balder New Member

I have owned this for some years now, it's painted on a piece of wood measuring 85 x 23 x 2 centimeters. It looks, smells and feels old. Can anybody comment on origin and age?

I'm located in Norway but catholic saints are not typical Norwegian motives.

Or maybe I am just the lucky owner of some touristy souvenir made to look old.

-Balder

IMG_6211 (220x640).jpg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Balder.
    It looks like it is a panel which would have been part of a bigger scene, with more panels. Could we see the back please?
    The saint is St George.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Balder

Balder New Member

Thank you, here's the back.

IMG_9764 (283x1024).jpg

4. Balder

Balder New Member

Metal on the back

IMG_9765 (1024x683).jpg

5. Balder

Balder New Member

Close-up of raised gold paint

IMG_9766 (1024x683).jpg

6. Any Jewelry

Wonderful, thank you. Just one more request, could you take a close up of what looks like the damaged part of the painting? One will do, I think.
    Right now it seems like it was painted on an old or antique panel and made to look antique. Maybe in Poland or Central Europe. A detail of the damage could help determine it.
    And others on the forum may have different insights.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  7. Balder

Balder New Member

8. Balder

Balder New Member

9. Balder

Balder New Member

10. Balder

Balder New Member

11. Balder

Balder New Member

I guess it is "fake old", but I still like it. It hangs in my hallway, attracting some attention from visitors.

-Balder

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's a piece that wouldn't matter to me!! I love it!!:):)

13. Any Jewelry

Thanks for the extra pictures, it is not antique but antiqued. Just one letter difference.;)
    You're right, but it is handpainted and does have value, just not as much as a genuine antique one.
    I remember there used to be a fashion in Germany and Poland (maybe elsewhere too) in the 70s and 80s for these antiqued decorations, they were quite expensive. They were never intended as fakes, just something to create an old atmosphere in the home.

Figtree3 and Balder like this.
  14. Balder

Balder New Member

Any Jewelry,

Thank you for your inputs, highly appreciated! Apart from the stone-age picture upload, this seems like a nice forum.

-Balder

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Ah, but along with the stone-age picture upload comes a lot of ancient knowledge.:playful:

16. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome Balder, and a lot of knowledge about things ancient!

17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

St. George & the Dragon is a popular theme. I like it a lot as a decorative piece. Certainly a step up from some items. It may even have come from a museum store.

Draft saved Draft deleted