Is this cabinet anything special, ? thank you all in advance

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Nancy Neal, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

I have some young friends in Austin Texas who bought this about 6 yrs ago on Craigs list, they are currently remodeling their home and though they love it no longer fits into their decor, They have been told it might be valuable, so are trying to find some information about it before they put it up for sale on Craigs list again, I have seen it in person, Front looks lacquered and to me there seems to be different woods used ,Thank you all for any insight. emily.jpg emily1.jpg emily3.jpg emily4.jpg emily5.jpg emily6.jpg emily6.jpg emily7.jpg emily9.jpg emily10.jpg emily.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Nancy Neal

emily18.jpg emily18.jpg emily16.jpg emily18.jpg emily16.jpg emily15.jpg emily18.jpg emily16.jpg emily15.jpg emily15.jpg

lloyd249 likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think it might be a Chinese wedding cabinet but that's all I've got.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is Chinese. Probably 20s-40s export piece and not terribly valuable. I don't think that red finish is original. The color looks off to me. I recently restored a similar smaller cabinet from the same era. I paid $25.00 for mine in this condition.

upload_2016-12-3_19-29-7.png

Here is after......

upload_2016-12-3_19-27-51.png

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its a very useful piece,but I think it may be newish. The doors sliding into the side like that ,isnt that a more recent innovation in furniture? I think it was built as a tv cabinet,before flat screens rendered tv armoires fairly useless.

verybrad and Ladybranch like this.
  6. Nancy Neal

thank you all for your opinions, your cabinet looks great Brad, Have passed info on.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Johnny is right. I had not noticed that the doors retracted into the sides. This is a recent innovation (maybe circa 1980) so this has to be pretty new. Consequently, I suppose that red could be original. I was basing my comments off older Chinese furniture.

8. Nancy Neal

thank you all again, will be back with more items after holidays,

Draft saved Draft deleted