Featured Is this Chair Victorian or Craftsman?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Heather Cantwell, Feb 9, 2023.

1. I bought this chair at a thrift store for $15. But I am having such trouble figuring out it's age/era. The seat covering is not leather. Any information you have would be so greatly appreciated

IMG_1138.jpg IMG_1139.jpg IMG_1141.jpg IMG_1142.jpg IMG_1148.jpg IMG_1149.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Great buy for $15!

Definitely reupholstered several times from the look of all that tack holes.

Wood looks like oak.

Late 1800s or early 1900s?

3. thank you so much for the info. Do you think it would be worth recovering in leather?

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

For yourself or to sell?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

at what cost ??

6. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

That would depend on your market for resale or if you are keeping it for yourself.

I think a nice medium brown / camel color would be nice.

If you are going to resale I'd hope you would in a bigger urban city.
    I'm in a more middle income rural setting and if I can't reupholster myself it's not worth it.
    I work in the estate sale business, mostly in the next county over that is still rural, but has old big money, and it can be surprising how cheap even those people can be.
    ...but I guess that how you keep it :p

Lark likes this.
  7. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Well whoever reupholstered it did a real nice job...

8. I believe this faux leather is original. I have seen other furniture from this time period with faux leather as well. The nail holes photo is from the bottom of the seat. Those holes I believe are from the webbing stretchers that hold the seat bottom (which have been removed).

I live in Austin Texas, and people out here have money and love old things. But I'm not sure if this particular chair is desirable. People seem to be into mid-century and stuff from the 80's-90's at the moment. Maybe I'll just keep it for myself. :) Thank you everyone for helping with this discussion. I've started a resale business from all my thrifting and estate sales, but I don't really do a lot of furniture. So this information is very helpful. I love this group so much!!! @avid_thrifter_atx

komokwa, Lark and Bakersgma like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Transitional piece, circa 1900. More Victorian than A&C but certainly has some influence. I don't think the cover is original but certainly appropriate to the style. I would hesitate to change it unless there is damage I don't see. Certainly would not be worth it for resale. You got a bargain since, as you said, this is not a style that people want right now.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Well I would want it!

komokwa and verybrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted