Is this daisy and button vessel a small vase or a ladies cuspidor?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Nov 23, 2014.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

.... And why does it have gold all over it?

It is just under 2 3/4" tall, weighty for its size, with lots of great wear to it. It is actually slightly asymmetrical at the top - that's not just my camera angle making it appear so ...

Found it weeks ago (under a dollar) and thought it would be nice to hold violets - when I can get to them before my husband mows them down. I gave up on trying to find out who made it (seems that just about everyone made some sort of D and B pattern) but while searching I saw some small vase-like items that were being called ladies cuspidors ... and they looked similar in shape to my little "vase". Ugh - is that what this really is? Also - it has gold paint-like stuff all over the outside surface (kind of like the dress clips that I'm asking about on the jewelry forum) ... do you think this gold was original?

Side view: P1070651(1).JPG

View from inside looking out (sort of):
    P1070653(1).JPG
    Bottom of piece:
    P1070652(1).JPG
    Thanks for any info ... I will still try to like it as much as I do now (thinking it's a vase) even if it turns out to have held spit at one time. - Kat

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Every real ladies cuspidor I have seen have all been porcelain. Not even a chewing lady would want to see the spit (it is very nasty) in a glass cuspidor.
    Your's is a small vase and perfect for violets. I do not think your gold was original and somebody thought to "tart" it up. In MHOP I would remove all traces of the gold. It might have been a goofus glass but more red and green would been seen under the gold.
    greg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Ladies don't spit

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like cold paint. A Goofus effect?

Oops! Already considered.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like the same paint as seen on your dress clips. You didn't happen to get the vase and clips at the same place, did you?

Oops! I see you already mentioned the similarity.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother and aunt went through a copper phase in the 60s. They got copper spray paint and painted everything. OMG. Antique vases, furniture, plates. It was truly awful to walk in and see a beautiful EAPG vase spray painted copper and filled with plastic roses. I think whoever owned these things went through a gold phase.

7. quirkygirl

Nope ... They were not found near each other ... neither time- nor distance-wise. But I knew the dress clips reminded me of something when I saw them. Wasn't 'till they came home that I realized it was the little vase.

8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

If anyone cares, this is now considered to be a toothpick holder. It was made by Bryce Bros. in Pittsburgh in the mid 1880s. They called the pattern 'Fashion.'

9. quirkygirl

Gosh .... I care! I had stopped hoping for an actual ID after much fruitless searching. Thank you Cherryhill! You've helped me out on the other porcelain and glass board in the past too :)

10. gregsglass

Hi,
    Please get rid of the gold.
    greg

11. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

12. Cherryhill

Fenton, when you've been here long enough you will realize that Ebay is NOT a research source.

gregsglass likes this.
  13. gregsglass

Hi Tom,
    Thanks, I was thinking my mind was slipping.
    greg

14. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Cherryhill---I been into Glass close to 50 yrs. now. So I have been here quite a while. Check out this site for Spittons and Cuspidors. http://ddoty.com/shapes.html

15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

David Doty is a decent reference but not authoratative

You seemed to have overlooked the size here

All those tiny ones in your ebay link are modern replicas

16. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Terry---I don't believe that you know anything about Carnival Glass. There are numerous old Cuspidors on that site. All of the Millersburg one's are from 1909-1910 and there are old Fenton pieces shown Circa 1906-1920. Besides, the topic was about the Shape of the Goofus piece.

17. Cherryhill

That mold (the original piece under discussion) was tooled from the original form, (open like a small tumbler) to be at least five different shapes, none of which are found in the catalogs I have. Below are four of the shapes, in various colors. This illustration comes from a Glass Toothpick book.
    Bryce Fashion Tps.jpg
    You may call the above a spittoon, if you wish to draw buyers for the exotic, but I won't be bidding, I won't collect spittoons.

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted