Is this is an Oriental calligraphy water dropper or am I wrong again?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, all the research I have done points to this being as being a water dropper or dripper, but I cannot find anything really similar with the fluted top and spouty looking spout. It looks older and has a nice glaze and I am wondering if there is another use or purpose for it from another area of the world that I haven't stumbled upon. Thanks in advance for your help and leads.

IMG_5488.JPG IMG_5489.JPG IMG_5490.JPG IMG_5491.JPG IMG_5493.JPG

judy and Bronwen like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think it could indeed be a water dropper, what size is it?

They are usually pretty small.

kyratango, judy and Bronwen like this.
  3. Kevolee

Sorry, it's around 3.5" tall and 3.5" in diameter.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Looks like a pomegranate . Chinese ?

judy likes this.
  5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Very common theme in the Middle East. I have seen really ancient examples in glass and pottery. As well as being available in pottery in every modern tourist shop in all of Israel : -)

Maybe an unusual oil lamp? It’s a bit small but maybe for display more than use?

6. Kevolee

Yes it does look like a pomegranate. Honestly I had a bite of one over 50 years ago and haven't been interested in them at all since. I did find some Chinese pomegranate water droppers but nothing similar enough to determine anything.

Tanya likes this.
  7. Kevolee

I also found some Middle Eastern pottery pomegranates too. The appeal must be particular to regions where they grow because I don't see them as appealing visually or appetizing. As I sit here picking the zucchini out of my Chinese dinner.

John Brassey and Tanya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted