Featured Is this lovely enamel portrait brooch by Limoges? And who is she?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Eils14, Mar 14, 2024.

1. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I picked up this stunning enamel brooch at the weekend at a vintage fair. I love enamel and as soon as I saw it, I had to have it, as it reminded me of the glow you get on the lovely Renaissance enamel pieces in museums.

On getting home and looking at it, my online searches on the enamel came up with Victorian Limoges pieces, so my question is, have I found one of these? I note the ones online are all set in precious metal, however I have not found any marks on this piece, so I do wonder what the metal is made from. I also wonder if the rollover clasp is a replacement, as I can see some solder under it and I have another brooch which has the same clasp which I also believe is probably a replacement!

And one final question, do you think we can identify who this is meant to be? Could it be a classical figure?

Also, just noting the enamel is raised in part i.e. the blue bead from her head piece. The head piece is metallic looking too.

TIA for any help, and I am super happy to have this in my collection!!

20240314_162847.jpg 20240314_162721.jpg 20240314_162727.jpg 20240314_162748.jpg 20240314_162820.jpg 20240314_162827.jpg 20240314_162931.jpg

stracci, mirana, bercrystal and 9 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Excellent choice, Eils.:happy: Yes, it is Limoges enamel, probably early 20th century.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    mirana, bercrystal, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  3. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Yay....I am so glad to get this confirmed, thank you! The ones I saw online were marked in some way, so I wanted to be sure.

I always associated Limoges with porcelain pieces, so discovering their enamel pieces has been really interesting. And based on the prices I'm seeing online, I definitely got a real bargain too!! :happy:

4. Any Jewelry

So different from Limoges porcelain.
    They always have a mysterious look, with that foil and the dark background. A bit like chiaroscuro in painting.
    Yes, they aren't cheap.;)

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Lovely piece-some of the Limoges enamel portraits have an amateurish 'trade card' look,like a mediocre transfer-this rendering's more skilled.The foil gives it a real 'zing'.

6. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thank you, I really like her, the unusual quality of it definitely pinged at me when I saw it! :shame:

Her mystery makes me wonder who she is! I get a classical vibe, or perhaps an actress playing a classical role. :)

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

She looks renaissance.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Could be Sarah Bernhardt.

Debora

Eils14, mirana, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Looks like a very nice piece. I like how they put some iridescence in the earring drop or whatever kind of jewel that is.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Eils14, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

She looks like she's floating just beneath the surface of a dark pool. Really pretty!

Eils14 and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Ooh, I like this idea! Would be great if she was. Thanks for the links to those other ones, I wish mine was signed too but it is very similar in style to the first one, so it feels likely for sure!

It is just glass but it has a foil behind it like the headpiece, which I agree makes it very striking and as it is 3D it gives it texture and makes it more impactful.

I don't know, I was thinking a hair clip or something, however maybe it is, as it is in a slightly random place for that now I think of it. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

She probably has a chignon with hair jewellery in it. Historic hairstyles often have bits and pieces of hair jewellery and ornamental combs in different places. Or even all over the hair.

Eils14 likes this.
  16. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria wearing her star hair jewels in this detail of a painting by Winterhalter :happy:

Sisi.jpeg

Eils14 likes this.
  18. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Ooh....that's lovely! If only I had a ball to go to so I could take inspiration from it! :happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted