Is this map a trench map that a runner would of taken back to the command post?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by skerry, Oct 30, 2018.

1. skerry

skerry Active Member

Hi all,

A member of my family gave me this WW1 map which shows a map on 1 side and a messaging system on the other side of it. It is about the size of an A4 sheet of paper. Its dated 18.8.17 at the bottom right.

I have done some research on this and I have found out that the area shown is slap between a triangle of Ypres, Passendale and Langemark.

What I really want to know is this the type of map that would of been in the front line trench or action and would of been given to a "runner" to take to company HQ or a command post?

Also, does this type of map have an official name because I have seen a lot of WW1 maps online but nothing really like this.

One notable and possibly poignant thing I have noticed is that there is a fingerprint in what to me looks like dried blood on it, 3rd photo. made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I noticed it.

DSC_0423.JPG DSC_0422.JPG DSC_0425.JPG

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I bet it did. Mine are up and quivering, and I'm just looking at a picture!

skerry likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@skerry It might help to answer your questions if we had pictures showing a more detailed view of what's on the papers. Closer up and bigger.

4. skerry

skerry Active Member

5. skerry

skerry Active Member

Hi, you made a good point, I have uploaded some more photos.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Wow. I think you are correct on your thoughts about the use - using the map itself to designate the location of the unit for which the information filled in on the message form applies.

The truly horrific part of that war was how long a single map sector like this would have been in use without alteration.

7. skerry

skerry Active Member

I agree totally. Even with film footage from the time, we fortunate people will never be able to truly imagine or understand what live was like for those poor brave men, no matter what side they were on.

I have to admit that I have spent hours referencing the places on this map to other maps and battle reports around this area. I just find it all so fascinating, if that is the correct term to use.

Draft saved Draft deleted