Featured Is this mixed media tourist art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Elen Beattie, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi, this was a bit of an odd ball find for me. 13"x6", mixed media acrylic (I think) and snipped tins. One of the buildings has 'ARTN' and I swear it looks like the same letters made out of the clothes on the washing line?! Where is the location? Is it tourist art?! Thanks!

image0.jpeg image0.jpeg

Attached Files:

judy, Any Jewelry and Roaring20s like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Are those planes in the sky? I live near an Air Force base and I see jets flying in pairs all the time.

It's a nice folksy work. :joyful:

James.

Elen Beattie and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Folk art....outsider art...........it's nice !

i need help, Elen Beattie and judy like this.
  4. Elen Beattie

I thought they might be birds but you could be right!

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That is nice. Folk art. Could be lots of places in Third World where soccer is played. Which bits are tin besides Coca-Cola?

Debora

i need help and Elen Beattie like this.
  6. Elen Beattie

Thanks! All of the buildings are tin. I've attached a top view to see this better.

image0-11~2.jpeg

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How clever. The Coca-Cola tin would be easiest to identify.

Debora

Elen Beattie likes this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Contemporary, charming and African IMO.

9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’m pretty straight with art labels and IMO once a style is cranked out for export it’s no longer outsider but you could use that term if selling. I think primitive and naive are more accurate. Folk too.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd agree that "outsider" is a difficult art term to assign. Doesn't look African to my eye; my guess would be Caribbean.

Debora

Elen Beattie likes this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Could be Caribbean but Africa has a long tradition with cut up metal embellishments on art and coke has such a long tradition in the country to the point that the easy way up Kilimanjaro is called the Coca Cola trail.

12. Elen Beattie

I didn't know that, interesting!

reader likes this.
  13. Elen Beattie

Do you think that could be Kilimanjaro in the background? I had a quick read of the history of the Coca Cola trail and see that many of the Chagga people are involved in the operations of expeditions and live on the southern base of the mountain. The website I'm reading says 'locals sold bottles of Coke and other drinks to hikers who took shelter in stationary sleeping huts along the trail on their way up the Tanzanian mountain'. So interesting!!

reader likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Kilimanjaro with village beneath.

Debora

DSC02686.jpg

reader and Elen Beattie like this.
  15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Those were my thoughts but the folk art “little people bright color” tradition certainly is represented throughout the Caribbean too although I’ve never seen the metal embellishments on island art.

if you’re selling it on the internet you could call it “Ethnic Folk Naive Primitive Painting Black Soccer Coca Cola Art” although I don’t know if the use of Coca Cola could be a problem. See what others think.

If you’re keeping it, just enjoy-it’s charming.

i need help likes this.
  16. Elen Beattie

Thanks so much for the help! My problem is, I buy things to sell on but end up liking them even more after I research them and want to keep for myself :bag:

Potteryplease and J Dagger like this.
  17. Elen Beattie

Thanks everyone, you've been very helpful. This forum is wonderful for helping novices like myself learn!

18. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I understand lol. Post back if you figure out country. I’m not much of a researcher.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

OK I had to look...broke my own rules as I pretty much play my volunteering that I either know it or not as I’m forced to do constant art research for another gig which entails reading way too much “artspeak” criticism which gets real old to me real fast.

Sticking with Africa. It just didn’t look “Island” to me although there certainly are shared characteristics.

For info only:
    https://www.nontando.com/township-painting-p-3035.html

Elen Beattie likes this.
  20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

2684E9F8-36A6-4DDF-BFB1-75CE29C97869.jpeg Gamsberg Pass?

Naturally and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted