Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Furniture
>
Is this of any value?
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Sedona, post: 478820, member: 4438"]Is Deco the exception? It seems the local antique stores my way are selling authentic Art Deco furniture fairly successfully.</p><p><br /></p><p>I have a house full of antique and vintage furniture, and I enjoy bringing home antique chairs, but it seems that some older pieces do have functional problems for modern use. Dedicated vanity tables are one example. Some can be repurposed but they are not really good substitutes for a desk. Also, due to nutrition etc. people were just smaller 100 years ago, so what might have seemed like a fairly large chair or desk then is not so big now. A few years back I almost purchased a gorgeous carved desk from the 1910s-1920s, but the bottom of the middle drawer actually hit the top of my legs. The proportions were just too small for me to sit comfortably at it. I found that post-war desks were much larger, and I ended up buying a desk from the early 1960s. On the flip side, some really large pieces such as wardrobes and armoires (needed then due to lack of closets) are too big for many houses. Fewer homes are being built with formal dining rooms, so the interesting and beautifully-crafted buffets, sideboards and cabinets may have nowhere to go. Likewise with hall trees and large baker’s racks...[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Sedona, post: 478820, member: 4438"]Is Deco the exception? It seems the local antique stores my way are selling authentic Art Deco furniture fairly successfully. I have a house full of antique and vintage furniture, and I enjoy bringing home antique chairs, but it seems that some older pieces do have functional problems for modern use. Dedicated vanity tables are one example. Some can be repurposed but they are not really good substitutes for a desk. Also, due to nutrition etc. people were just smaller 100 years ago, so what might have seemed like a fairly large chair or desk then is not so big now. A few years back I almost purchased a gorgeous carved desk from the 1910s-1920s, but the bottom of the middle drawer actually hit the top of my legs. The proportions were just too small for me to sit comfortably at it. I found that post-war desks were much larger, and I ended up buying a desk from the early 1960s. On the flip side, some really large pieces such as wardrobes and armoires (needed then due to lack of closets) are too big for many houses. Fewer homes are being built with formal dining rooms, so the interesting and beautifully-crafted buffets, sideboards and cabinets may have nowhere to go. Likewise with hall trees and large baker’s racks...[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Furniture
>
Is this of any value?
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...