Featured Is this really vintage

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Elly, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Elly

Elly New Member

Hi I bought this dining room set and the person claimed it was an Italian designer vintage set. The table is heavy and sturdy.
    I was wondering if anyone knows the brand or designer behind this set?

If not, can you please introduce me to a place where I can find out more about the IMG_20220213_235346.jpg set?

I really appreciate any help. Thank you

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

have u looked for any marks under the table or chairs....
    looks 1980's to me..

what do you mean by vintage?
    it's a word used to describe wine made in a certain year......like 1956 Vintage.

@verybrad
    @Ghopper1924

3. komokwa

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

hello Elly, where are you ? where did you get them ?
    the whole set looks Italian-made or at least "in the style of" late 1970s to 1990s Italian. normally they were signed or had at least stickers. what's the price you paid ?

Hi2022, NewEngland, Houseful and 4 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Presumably you bought the dresser/units behind the table at the same time as they are the same pattern, are there any labels inside the doors or under the shelves? It looks really heavy to move to see if there are labels on the back!

Hi2022, Houseful and Aquitaine like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think no earlier than the 80s and maybe a decade or two later. Could very well be Italian. Doubt it is by a known designer but may have been relatively expensive when new.

judy, Ghopper1924, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  7. Elly

Elly New Member

I Live in Montreal Canada. The lady told me it is Italian. I paid $2000 for the whole set. She said she's only selling at that price because she is moving and has no space.
    - Does anyone know of any designs that are similar ?
    - Is it art deco ?
    - The table and the dresser are Extremely heavy .But the chairs are super light and not very sturdy . Is that typical of these sets? Thank you

judy and Fid like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's a nice looking set, but that table looks like a beast to move....hope there's something under the legs to protect your flooring!!! I too am thinking fairly recent and modern.....think the gentlemen above have nailed it correctly as well!!! You haven't said if you've gotten down under the table to look for a label or ink stamped marking...........with flashlight and camera?

judy, pearlsnblume, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not art déco. typical modern Italian. when still in good nick, then 2000 $ is correct because it's a whole set even with the sideboard/cupboard for the bar stuff and the bottles.
    doesn't amaze me that the chairs are light because these are one thing the Italians like to move around all the time;when the Famiglia with all the Bimbi and Nonne is on visit then there might be another six around this table easily. :)

judy, Born2it, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. Elly

Elly New Member

No There aren't any labels , anywhere :(

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Pure 80s. Is the table trim chrome? This style was made by innumerable places,so pinning down exactly who might be nigh impossible. Can we get a shot of the table legs ? Im not convinced they started life together,but then i cant see half the time. I love it,but im an 80s fan from,well,the 80s !

KSW, judy, pearlsnblume and 4 others like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

While I'm not good at furniture, are there any marks rather than labels? Such as inked stamps on the bottom of the chairs, the table, the drawers, the back?

It's hard to tell exactly what you've got from the photo. Only part of the china cabinet shows and it's not obvious to me if your items are trimmed in chrome or brass. Is the table wood or something synthetic?

KSW, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. komokwa

In the 80's brass & glass was very popular in Montreal....& we had many fine upscale furniture stores.
    I'm surprised a store mark or label is not still somewhere on the set.....
    & by set....u mean the breakfront against the wall also...right?

the person claimed it was an Italian designer
    She said she's only selling at that price because she is moving and has no space.

People will say the darnedest things to get the price they want .....:singing::singing::singing::inpain:

( on a personal note....I've sat in those chairs before.....not comfortable..:meh:..)

14. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Along with a photo of the table legs, a photo of one chair against a solid background would help us do an image search. And is the metal brass or chrome finish?

KSW, judy, James Conrad and 1 other person like this.
  15. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, seems to me like someone is having buyer's remorse here & trying to hopefully justify the cost.
    2k is a bunch for used dining room furniture, still, it is a lot of furniture if all the pieces in the photo were included.
    The term vintage is very subjective & has no legal standing, similar to classic, it means whatever someone wants it to mean.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    judy and komokwa like this.
  16. Elly

Elly New Member

Hi it is a chrome finish .The photo is from the seller's home .I have disassembled it and am waiting for my renovation to be finished to put it back .So I can't provide any photos at the moment .

judy likes this.
  17. Elly

Elly New Member

Also could you please provide me with the name of the site that I can do an image search on? Thank you

judy likes this.
  18. Elly

Elly New Member

Well I do like the design and it is quite sturdy .I am just curious to know if this is indeed a valuable piece. But I do like to reassure myself of the $2000 nevertheless :)

judy and James Conrad like this.
  19. Elly

Elly New Member

Also could you please provide me with the name of the site that I can do an image search on? Thank you

judy likes this.
  20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Google lens does a fairly good image search sometimes, sometimes not. It helps to have photos with a clear image of what you're trying to ID with a plain background.

James Conrad, judy and Fid like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted