Featured Is this really what it says on the tin?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by fridolina, Jan 7, 2021.

1. fridolina

fridolina Well-Known Member

It says 9 Carat White Enamel, Amethyst and Peridot Suffragette Pendant.
    I’ll be very grateful to have your opinion on this piece.

6DD8A4DE-AA6E-4F8A-8503-FFC2E1EC4F07.jpeg

ADB7188F-4F17-4398-AF0C-34F2C6FF8589.jpeg

C76ED5FC-0E30-4875-9791-018854286452.jpeg

B4660071-14DA-4EB7-90BE-932043BD6242.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i don't have a clue as to what you're saying.............
    but.
    it's pretty....and sez it's gold !!

pearlsnblume, fridolina and judy like this.
  3. fridolina

Sorry, I do apologise for the confusion. I didn’t know that it’s a phrase used only in the UK.
    My question was, do you think it is real or fake.

pearlsnblume, judy and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm not familiar with that mark or with the manufacture......maybe some of our worldly members could speak to that.

As to the use of a UK phrase........that I personally do not know...
    I can only believe that in fact , it's fair dinkum ! :playful::playful::playful:

fridolina and judy like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

where does it say ALL that ? in a listing ?
    first glimpse I thought art deco hanger, possibly from Denmark.

fridolina and judy like this.
  6. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Very popular stones, used a lot, and the phrase "suffragette" is often used when it has nothing whatsoever to do with the suffragettes.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

9 ct would usually indicate British or at a pinch, one of our colonies. Style is Edwardian up to about WW1. it may well be suffragette inspired, especially with the enamel work. The colours are right as are the stones.

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Just for clarity’s sake, what does it mean exactly?

judy and fridolina like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Is it kosher. The real McCoy. Genuine article. Or is it well dodg, not cushty.

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Thanks Bear, I'll add that to "the tip" and "the bin" I learned here. I think I will also add cushty, also a new one on me ;)

About 10 years ago my sister and I went to Ireland. At one point we rented a car and drove to a small town on the southern coast where we rented a condo for a week. While driving we made a list of supplies we needed. Near our destination I hit the brakes and quickly pulled into a shopping center - I spied something on our list - a sign for an off license. My sister said "What the hell is an off license?", I grew up watching British shows on PBS, she didn't :D

evelyb30, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Cushty is a bit of Romany speak which got added into East End English, especially. Just as Yiddish has!

kyratango, pearlsnblume, judy and 3 others like this.
  12. fridolina

“It does exactly what it says on the tin" was originally an advertising slogan in the United Kingdom, which then became a common idiomatic phrase. It colloquially means that the name of something is an accurate description of its qualities.”
    Wikipedia

13. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Learned a lot in this thread and little of it related to the item but great fun.

14. Ownedbybear

That's these forums in a nutshell. ;)

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Back to the pendant.:hilarious:
    I agree with ca 1900-1915, British made, and possibly intended as a Suffragette pendant.:)
    So yes, it is what it says on the tin, the stones are good, and even the Suffragette part could be true.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    kyratango and fridolina like this.
  16. fridolina

I can’t find a British hallmark that says “9 CT GOLD”.
    I would really appreciate any info or link about the subject.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No it isn't an official assay mark. I believe it was stamped on low weight items that didn't have to be assayed, but @Ownedbybear knows more about that.

kyratango, komokwa and fridolina like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

It's very common on pre WW2 pieces and not just low weight ones, either - 9ct or 9 ct gold. I've seen it on stuff from about, oh, the 1870s or so to the 1950s ish. Whilst we were fussy about hallmarks, that didn't mean the law was always observed. Georgian and Victorian pieces are often totally unmarked.

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And American ones... good luck with that! American jewelers often didn't mark their pieces in any way at all.

A lot of us watch a little too much British TV. Some of the geekier Americans understand Old Blighty Speak. Cushty was a new one on me; East Ender colloquialisms don't often make it across the Pond.

If it's not a Suffragette jewel it's close enough to be marketed as one. Women interested in voting rights would be all over it. I think it's right as rain though.

I've sold pieces and given some away that I've sold as Suffragette before - meaning the colors are right. One I made of vintage parts went to England. My sister bagged the rest.

kyratango and fridolina like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

I agree, I can see no reason for it not to be suffragette, given the time period when it was made.

John Brassey and fridolina like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted