Is this Saphiret?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by JennieRose, Apr 8, 2018.

1. JennieRose

JennieRose New Member

I just purchased this matching vintage "Camee" brand bracelet and necklace il_570xN.1445997355_8qct.jpg on Etsy for an extremely reasonable price, and I'm wondering if they are saphiret. I didn't want to ask the seller, because I suspect she didn't know.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice. Looks like it could be, but I don't know much about costume jewellery. And certainly can't tell the difference between Saphiret and Sappharine.
    Others will be along who know.

I forgot, welcome to the forum.

3. JennieRose

JennieRose New Member

il_570xN.1446057441_do75.jpg il_570xN.1398735556_9ae3.jpg Hi, thank you for the welcome :)

Here are a couple more photos. If it is saphiret, I just got a deal of a lifetime. If not, the jewelry is still pretty enough to be worth what I paid for it.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Wear it and enjoy it.

The darker pieces look foil backed.
    The chain and claw clasp are newer as is the little insignia piece. Most likely made in China sometime in the last 10 years.

I rather doubt it is saphiret.

I'm not a jewelry expert, wait for other opinions.

5. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Pretty.
    Welcome aboard!

Calling @evelyb30 for her thoughts on this one...

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Pretty set.

My vote is no on the saphirets, but the stones might be "saphiret" or "dragon's breath" inspired.

Here is a Camee necklace on Ebay UK and if the description is correct, it says that country of origin for Camee is the Czech Republic (of course the home of many saphirets, so good to take a careful look at this.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-...427587?hash=item4b3c1308c3:g:V~QAAOSwo4pYgo9r

Guessing this necklace is 2000 or later, just not sure anyone modern is using saphirets, and these don't look quite right. An older saphiret is blue in one light and angle, and shifting to brown in another

A couple thoughts -- the Ebay auction claims their necklace retailed for $125, so either way, a nicer made piece -- and you have both necklace and bracelet.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I see a blue veil in the dark stones, that leads me to dragon's breath. Saphirets would be a mocha/blue color and there should be no blue veil. This is a saphiret pin:

SaphPinFront1.jpg

SaphPinSide.jpg

kyratango, judy, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  8. JennieRose

JennieRose New Member

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it :) I've long admired saphiret, but could not afford it. These stones do look brown from certain angles (photo attached). The blue flashes or "fire" do remind me of dragon's breath. I collect vintage glass stones and make jewelry from them, and the Czech Republic creates the most beautiful stones second only to Swarovski of Austria. The set was advertised as vintage, so I will be disappointed if they are not. And I really hope they are not Chinese knockoffs. Before I knew better, I bought Chinese jewelry and the stones fell out of their settings, the plated metal flaked off, etc. If you knowledgable folks think that these are Chinese knockoffs, I will be returning them because they would not be worth the price I paid for them.
    il_570xN.1398784474_ebft.jpg

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

I would defer to Lucille and Marie, if they think Czech.
    I don't know half what they do when it comes to jewelry.

Because I go to the gift shows where a lot of Chinese import jewelry is sold, I immediately think Chinese. I don't usually see the higher end costume jewelry at the wholesale shows I attend.

kyratango, judy and JennieRose like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Not familiar with the company Camee, but that Ebay auction I linked above seemed to know a bit about the maker and stated that country of origin was the Czech Republic. Same auction also stated that originally selling price was $125 for the necklace. If correct, I have to think "selling for $125" probably means last 30 years or so.

People define vintage as many things, including things that are 1990's, it could be that old.

If the necklace truly sold for $125 when new, probably won't have stones falling out. The Chinese counter parts can sell new for 1/10th that.

I agree that the Czech Republic has some of the most beautiful glass in the world. No question. Who knows what kind of glass they have stockpiled and what would be used in a piece like this. It is positively not the 100 year old Saphiret you see in a piece like Marie's, but maybe something interesting just the same. I'm not so familiar with Dragon's breath, maybe others will comment, or follow-up.

Maybe a little more research in the company would make sense as well.

Best of luck!

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

This bracelet has dragon's breath, you can see the blue flash:

UnsgnDBrthBrclt.jpg

The lobster claw clasp on OP's bracelet is not very old. Can you show a photo of the back of the set stones? Sometimes it helps to see that also.

Who knows, maybe the Czechs have come up with a dragon's breath saphiret :joyful:

12. JennieRose

JennieRose New Member

Here are photos of the backs:

il_570xN.1398716782_9u8w.jpg il_570xN.1446057483_1ds0.jpg
    I have loose dragon's breath stones just like the ones pictured in the jewelry you posted, Marie, and for whatever reason, none of them have foil on the backs.

kyratango and judy like this.
  13. Lucille.b

From the back you can see that it has some nicer quality. But does sort of rule out saphirets.

judy, Any Jewelry and JennieRose like this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :cat:

kyratango and JennieRose like this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

Agreed.
    It doesn't look like the inexpensive Chinese stuff.

16. clutteredcloset49

Had time to do a little poking around.

Camee does appear to be a Czech company.
    Whether they make their own items or import, I don't know.
    Page is under construction, but it does have an adress.

http://www.camee.cz/index.php?lang=en

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't see sapphiret either, but it does have some similarity to dragon's breath. The others are a milky quartz rhinestone. The foiled backs would indicate this isn't the old stuff. It's pretty though, and the Czechs are still finding old stones made before WWII and putting them in new pieces. So.. who knows.

kyratango, judy and JennieRose like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Given that the company is in Jablonec, I'd strongly suspect they make their own stones. Capital of garnets and art glass. They're also registered elswhere as a glass maker.

kyratango, judy, antidiem and 3 others like this.
  19. JennieRose

JennieRose New Member

Thank you everyone. I should have known it would have been too good to be true if it was saphiret.

Well at least it looks like imitation saphiret, the only kind that I can afford.

20. Noelle

Noelle New Member

I’m new to collecting Saphiret, and since I first saw it I have become completely obsessed with it. I have read and continue to read, everything I can on Saphiret/Sappharine And after viewing thousands of pieces, I have to say, if this is a Saphiret dupe, they did a damned good job. Wear it and be proud, without it actually being Saphiret, it’s the closest dupe I’ve come to see so far. One thing someone told me, Saphiret DO NOT have an Aurora Borealis finish, and the older Czech Saphirets as well as the newer or German Sappharine, when put in direct sunlight, or even the light on your cell phone, you will see the gold in the glass. I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Noelle

Draft saved Draft deleted