Is this Set Real KUTANI or CheapTani

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Sep 28, 2016.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Got about 60 pieces of this stuff. Looks like decent quality. I looked on Gotheborg with no luck. I found similar Kutani markings but nothing matches. So whatcha all think? Real Kutani or CheapTani/KutaNOT/FauxTani/Kutajunk?

kutani1.jpg kutani2.jpg kutani3.jpg kutani4.jpg kutani5.jpg kutani6.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice enough until you notice the problem with the pot handle. I suspect modestly priced "modTani" and would expect to see lots of it for sale in our International District.

3. vitry-le-francois

LOL, "modTani." I was thinking of different names to use. LOVE that one! Is the handle repaired? Not normal?

4. Bakersgma

Looks "repaired" from what I can see, but closer pictures might explain. Is that white plumber's tape wrapped around the "wood?" and the hooks?

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id have jumped on it with both feet! LOVE the colors,and especially adore the little teapot !

6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

It almost looks like a bamboo purse handle that some made work for the teapot. The original may have been the woven reed variety that feel apart or got broken. BWDIK

Peggy

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Good point, Peggy. Those wrapped wire hooks look way too flimsy.

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

So, real Kutani, but 20th century because of the style? Love the red.

9. vitry-le-francois

It is a heavy gauge metal that loops through the teapot and around the handles. Looks original to me. It's not flimsy. I had my little grand daughter hold on to it as she turned around in fast circles. It held on tight but she couldn't walk straight for 4 minutes ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted