Featured Is This Silverplate Item a Biscuit Jar or a Tea Caddy?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ola402, Jul 27, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I recently bought a large lot of fabulous silverplate. I think the previous owner had most of it replated along the way. Otherwise, I can't understand how the silver could be in such great condition.

This is a Hukin & Heath item. I found some others on line. One seller says it a tea caddy and the other says it a biscuit jar. It measures 5" high from the base of the jar to the top, not including the lid and it's 5 3/8" in diameter. Overall height is 7 1/2". It seems too big for a tea caddy, BWDIK? Here it is. Thanks for your help!

DSCF6319.jpg DSCF6321.jpg DSCF6329.jpg

2. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I don't care what it is. It's divine and personally I would fill it with pink and white mini merengues and set it on a mahogany sideboard, next to a huge bouquet of fragrant flowers.

:arghh: wants

:shy: needs

:eek: faints from lack of oxygen and shock

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

It's a lovely thing, It just seems too pretty for a tea caddy to me.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like a biscuit barrel/jar to me...

~Cheryl

Ladybranch and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

bluemoon - I'm glad you like it!

Cheryl and P Ivy - Yes, I think it's a biscuit barrel too. I thought tea caddies were smaller.

I looked at the one on the link and mine is in much much better condition. That's why I think the previous owner must have had this re-plated. They came to me already mostly polished as well. Can you believe?

Poisonivy likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not at home to check my references, but here's one of similar form in solid silver from an 1899 catalog:

6272016175627.jpg

~Cheryl

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Cheryl - Wow, 9 pounds for that! That was a lot of money in 1899.

9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

A spot of history to bear in mind. When tea was a very expensive luxury, tea caddies flourished. Silver, Tortoiseshell, mahogany and inlay, they were expensive to house an expensive product. Nowadays we have a cardboard box of teabags.

Steamships and the reduction and then removal of the tax on tea made it a peoples drink, and killed the tea caddy. Around the time the tea caddy as a fancy special thing died out, in come factory made cookies and a container for them.

In fact, a big biscuit maker made special biscuit tins in the shape of tea caddies, see Huntley and Palmers fancy tins.

Quite often with antiques, if you can put an approximate date on them, you can rule out possible uses by the history and habits of the time.

Pretty well all the silver tea caddies I have seen have slide on lids which is a bit odd as all other materials have one essential, a lock.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bluemoon,
    That is exactly what Silverthwait would have said. I miss her so much.
    greg

Figtree3 and bluemoon like this.
  11. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

AF is most wise.

Too often, people forget the history behind antiques, and that leads to problems and mistakes. I always believe that the two go hand in hand. You can't understand one without the other.

That said, I'd say this is a biscuit-barrel. Tea-caddies were usually lined in something, weren't they?

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Looks like it is a biscuit barrel then, You're so lucky to have such a lovely piece, It looks like it has been looked after and treasured all these years.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Tea caddies were only lined if they were wooden, to protect the tea from flavour contamination. Metal ones did not need it.

Another important generalisation, think about why things were done and you can often see if something belongs or not.

cxgirl and Shangas like this.
  14. Robin Whymark

Robin Whymark New Member

I have an identical one. It belonged to my great aunt and was always used as a biscuit barrel. I am hoping to sell it but have no idea of its value. Any ideas???

judy likes this.
  15. Robin Whymark

Robin Whymark New Member

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Shangas, that's something that is all too often forgotten. As af's post demonstrates, historical context is all.

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nowadays of course, it would probably hold jelly beans, smarties, M&Ms, or other non-sticky candy. it would also make a heckuva posh holder for the television remote.

judy likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Cotton wool balls on one's dressing table!

judy and Ladybranch like this.
  19. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Couldn't find a way to delete this reply, only to delete the message. Sorry.

--- SUsan

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  20. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted