Featured Is this sterling bell necklace from Afghanistan or ???

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

or a nearby country/region?

This necklace tests as sterling or a bit higher on all the pieces. The chain is a woven herringbone type, maybe rattail? The beads look hand-formed. The pendant has lots of tiny balls with ring tops strung on the crescent of wire around the center ornament.

Three chains with three balls each hang below. There are no marks, the clasp is a two-ended hook and the length is 13 1/2". I can wear it snug at my neck and it seems too long to be an anklet so I am assuming it's a necklace.

I tried Kuchi in a search term and found similar things but I realize those people may not be correct and if I knew another term I may find plenty of matches for that, too!

I appreciate your help! Kuchi_SS_bell_necklace_1.jpg Kuchi_SS_bell_necklace_4.jpg

Hi2022, judy, stracci and 6 others like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hi2022, judy, stracci and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely. It looks Indian to me.

Hi2022, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

Oh, gosh, Indian? And I saw so many people calling similar things Afghan, or Kuchi. It appears both of those have large flat ornaments in their centers quite often and sometimes colored stones. So, I'll head into India research to see if I can learn more. Thanks, @Any Jewelry

Hi2022, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

True, coloured glass is typical of Kuchi, and coloured glass or stones typical of Afghan. The Kuchi are nomads btw, they can be found in several countries.
    An important detail is the delicately braided chain. That is seen in parts of India and in parts of Yemen. Your necklace is not Yemeni, so that leaves India. The other parts also look Indian.

Hi2022, reader and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted