Featured Is this table 18th c ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Daniel oshaughnessy, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Daniel oshaughnessy

Daniel oshaughnessy Active Member

Been looking for a table of the 18th c persuasion for my living room. Found this piece, advertised as 18th century. It looks real to me, maybe English. What do you think. Hope it is the real deal.

83088567_1_l.jpg 83088567_2_l.jpg 83088567_8_l.jpg 83088567_3_l.jpg 83088567_4_l.jpg 83088567_6_l.jpg

2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I don't understand what the goal is here except, acquire a piece of furniture built in the 18th century?
    It's worth pointing out they built junk in the 18th century just like they do today.
    Buying a piece of furniture based on age alone is kinda the wrong way to go in my view.

NewEngland, cxgirl, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I think it is a nice little table Daniel, I particularly like the twisted legs. Do you think the legs have been shortened sometime in the past? Anyway .. I like it.
    Joy. :)

cxgirl, Sandra, Malcolm and 4 others like this.
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

The one thing I have learned from cataloging tons of English 'antique' furniture is that the cabinetmakers were notorious for taking older pieces and marrying them to newer to give the illusion of an older piece. Some would say the pieces were rebuilt but I was friendly with the English antique dealers in my area and they would tell me it was done to deceive. I saw a similar table with rose head nails in the top and was excited until I took out the drawer and realized it was all new and had created patina. Those stretchers look hand done and you certainly could have a period piece but sometimes the ones that have been re-invented are more structurally sound. Like James basically said, don't buy simply because the 'age' buy because it is pleasing on the eye and well built.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Christmasjoy, cxgirl, Sandra and 7 others like this.
  5. James Conrad

Yeah, there is a cottage industry in Europe of manufacturing "antiques" from old wood that has been going on since at least the 1960s. Often referred to as "container goods/antiques" here in the states.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I get a giggle every time I've seen this place, up the road from me an hour or so. They aren't faking pieces, just new old-style and years ago when I was in there, making some from old wood as I recall.

Anyway, I do understand wanting to use period furniture in a style you like especially if you have a period home.

[​IMG]

Siblye, lovewrens, komokwa and 12 others like this.
  7. James Conrad

lol , Hey! nothing wrong with that, they are not trying to fool anyone but that sign is GREAT!
    One thing i notice about OP table, the "nulling" carving on the apron, it's convex, i don't think i have ever seen period english nulling carving that wasn't concave.
    Nulling carving was popular in england and america during the 17th century.

Nulling carving
    dealer_ygray_highres_1521621774664-9015589469.jpg
    dealer_ygray_highres_1521621786877-5496837605.jpg

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

(emphasis added)

Oh my goodness. So I am looking at Daniel's photos of a piece of furniture made in the 1700's?

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Daniel, regardless of it's age, I love your little table! And if it's the look you're going for, then go for it! As to authenticity, I'm not the one to be the judge of that, I'd defer to James for that! For me, I'd probably mix up a bit of close stain for the top and add a bit....but that's just me.....I came from a home filled with antiques, BUT, HUGE BUT HERE, Mom wanted EVERYTHING refinished!!!!! I wouldn't....I 'mostly' like it's look, except for the top! JMHO!!! For the rest, I'd leave it be!!

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, Sandra and 4 others like this.
  10. James Conrad

LOL, sounds like Mom was the brains of the family. :p:eek::oops:

11. Aquitaine

Yep, and Dad was expert at doing it, BUT again, she kept more work in front of him than he could ever DO!!!!! Don't get me wrong!! Dad ran his own Metal Stamping business from when they got married until they retired, & his sons were also tool & die makers (just about a disappeared trade!) but he encouraged Mom to invest in the antiques!!) After YEARS of doing it, one day he just up and said "no more" and he meant it....but she also had a professional she kept pretty busy too!! :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy: Big-Orange 2-4.gif

12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but that type of leg design ...was it done in the 18thc? More like a late 19th showoff device IMO...also, other than the legs not looking like oak isn't the design of OP's table more 17thc than 18thc?
    A lot of 17thc furniture styles were revived in the 19thc and a lot of it is quite convincing, I don't think this is a piece made from old wood either, just a folly not made to deceive and a product of good honest labor. But of course this is just my opinion, from what I've seen in the trade in passing as I've never dealt in furniture.

13. Aquitaine

@blooey, in answer to your question, I went a-Googling......skip the first sentence or two, but the rest with images all the way down is interesting....to me as well!!!!

https://eyefordesignlfd.blogspot.com/2017/12/decorating-with-barley-twist-furniture.html

AND, I scrolled all the way down (I hadn't before!!) and saw (MUCH to my surprise!!!:jawdrop:) our little collection of Barley Twist candlesticks!!!! NIIIIICE!!

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  14. James Conrad

Yes, mish- mash of 17th thru 19th century styles all rolled into one piece, this happened a lot in the late victorian age.
    The nulling carving kinda gives this piece away as not period.

15. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

The stretcher leg color looks darkened with white chips.

The bottom looks treated as well - packed with dirt? Then rubbed off...

downloadfile_1585582069547.jpg

16. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Daniel- it looks like a tavern table. Barley twist legs are great. If you like it and the price is right then grab it. Can’t comment on age but does looked well used. Not new. Good luck

17. Malcolm

Malcolm Active Member

Don't worry about anyone says Daniel, if you love it then buy it. You won't another chance. I love it, if it's not for future sales so go get it. :happy::happy::happy:

18. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Would that not make it "gadrooning", James?

19. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

20. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Of course! I'm not saying it's junk, move on... Just what I see :)

Draft saved Draft deleted