Featured Is this unmarked vase Art Nouveau or repro?!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elen Beattie, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all! Picked this vase up at the same time as a Julius Dressler jardinière this week. No markings that I can see, 9.5"H x 4"W (at the base). It looks to be in the Art Nouveau style, do you think it could be as old as that or a more modern revival/repro? There was a crumpled up piece of newspaper inside from the 70s so I think it's at least that age :shame:. All input appreciated as always. Thank you!

Image - 2021-10-03T130729.425.jpeg Image - 2021-10-03T130742.561.jpeg Image - 2021-10-03T130747.820.jpeg Image - 2021-10-03T130755.418.jpeg Image - 2021-10-03T130739.089.jpeg Image - 2021-10-03T130751.442.jpeg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

To me, it looks moulded in two halves and hand decorated. It probably was a very affordable General Store type item, maybe 1900 -1915.

Bronwen, Elen Beattie and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Interesting, thank you! I mention the jardinière by Dressler above because it appears to be from around 1910 as well. I think perhaps both were donated to my local thrift store from the same home! I'm pleased that this vase has some age to it :)

judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I don't have time to research it but I would check Weller or Roseville. With that interior glaze Red Wing also comes to mind

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think that's dogwood. Anyone disagree?

Debora

Bronwen, Elen Beattie and *crs* like this.
  6. Elen Beattie

I will do that now, thank you!

Bronwen and *crs* like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Robinson Ransbottom - 1926. It was part of their Luxor line. Shown in a catalog photo on pg. 131 of the Skillmans' Sanfords Guide to The Robinson Ransbottom Pottery Co. "Luxor Decorated Cut Flower Jar. No.2."

8. Elen Beattie

Wow that's amazing!! I would never have found that, thanks so much.

9. Elen Beattie

A curious thing I found that it has also been attributed to Weller; on a WorthPoint listing the seller says they found it, ".. in the Collector's Encyclopedia of Weller Pottery by Sharon & Bob Huxford" described as Luxor, dating it at 1910. Does anyone have access to that publication? There must have been close overlap with some of the makers designs?

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I have that book - Luxor is listed in the index as Luxor 1910 (?) so apparently they were unsure of that date. What they found regarding the Luxor line is three vases all similar to yours. The middle vase appears to be yours exactly except yours is more brightly colored. There is no other mention of the Luxor line in the book that I can find.

My guess would be that the Huxfords made the Weller attribution in error. The lack of any backup documentation for Weller to have produced Luxor makes me suspicious. And, on the other hand, we have pretty good documentation that Luxor was produced by Robinson Ransbottom. It's always possible that Weller produced it first and Robinson Ransbottom borrowed or bought the molds but without documentation that's all speculation.

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yes, dogwood has 4 petals, these flowers have 5.

Bakersgma, Elen Beattie and *crs* like this.
  12. *crs*

Thanks. I had forgotten about RRPCo also having had a line like this. So many potteries had similar lines of ware.

dgbjwc and Elen Beattie like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lesson learned! Thanks.

Debora

14. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I read that RRPCo. bought Weller molds in the 1940s, doesn't really mesh with the dates....

Elen Beattie likes this.
  15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Apple, crabapple, fantasy flower--who knows, but, FYI, there are plenty of dogwood varieties that have more than 4 "petals". I was shocked to learn that also, but the most common has 4.

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have always seen this attributed to Weller so the RR information is illuminating. My gut reaction is that it is probably the latter based on the interior color.

I think this is good logic and makes sense.

17. Elen Beattie

Thanks! So RR has the destictive green glazed interior?

18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not always but it is unlikely that Weller would have used that bright green.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  19. Elen Beattie

Thanks everyone, I'm learning a lot!

20. *crs*

I've seen an interior color glaze on Red Wing Pottery more so than any other pottery company.

sunday silence and Elen Beattie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted