Is this vase Moroccan, Turkish or a cheapo decor piece?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by PortableTreasures, May 3, 2020.

1. PortableTreasures

PortableTreasures Active Member

Thanks in advance for your help. I bought this at a garage sale a few years ago for about $2 (in the US--New Jersey). The shape and heft of the vase appealed to me even though I typically like my vases a lot brighter in colour. I assumed it was a cheap decor piece--until I found a very similar vase on One Kings Lane (an online home furnishings and decor shop) where it was listed for $269 USD and described as Moroccan. This was in 2018 and the listing is now gone. So that gave me pause and I took it out of the thrift shop pile where I'd put it, but didn't do any more investigating. Now, with time on my hands, I just did a Google reverse image search and found something somewhat similar on Worthpoint--but described as Turkish. Link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-turkish-isnik-armenian-305013106

20200503_124051_resized.jpg
    I've included images of the bottom to show that there are no marks and uneven glaze (some glazed and unglazed areas).

The vase is about 25cm (9.5 inches) tall.

Can anyone help me to identify what I have and whether it's a cheap decorative thing or something worth treating with a little more care than I have been....

20200503_124055_resized.jpg

20200503_124123_resized.jpg

20200503_124139_resized.jpg

20200503_124146_resized.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Turkey, not Morocco.

Debora

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Iznik. Turkey, as Debora says.

4. PortableTreasures

Thanks for clarifying it's from Turkey, Deborah and OwnedbyBear. And Iznik--in style, right? Gorgeous stuff now that I've googled it--thanks for that tip, too! I appreciate it!

Do you have any sense of its possible age at all?

kyratango likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think you're right. Not original Iznik pottery, but a more modern replica. It's still nice, too! Unfortunately I don't know how to judge the age.

6. PortableTreasures

Many thanks, Figtree. I agree re it being a modern replica--and a pretty rough one at that. Good, that means I can let it go with no regrets!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted