Featured It glows!! Is this Fenton?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elen Beattie, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all, picked this little jug up today (4.5"H) because I thought it looked like watermelon colours. To my surprise I thought I would UV it and all of it glows! Does this look like Fenton? I can't seem to find anything exactly like it. The bottom is polished quite nicely. Any ide of age? Thanks :)

image7 (1).jpeg image6 (3).jpeg image5 (2).jpeg image0 (3).jpeg image3 (2).jpeg

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Nice love the colors.

3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Finished Bottom! Not Fenton, they were proud of the fact that they'd figured out how to avoid having to polish the bottom.

4. Elen Beattie

Ah, I didn't know that thanks!! Any ideas as to maker? :rolleyes:

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

that shape of squat ball bottle is likely a cruet (sans stopper); the clover leaf formed top is fairly common as is the applied reeded handle. And I'm seeing some panel optics. The color looks to be rubina verde.

form: cruet
    color: rubina verde
    motif: reeded handle, panel optic

did happen to find one similar missing the clover top
    BEAUTIFUL ANTIQUE DARK RED RUBINA WITH INTERIOR PANELS - OIL / VINEGAR CRUET | #3113106985 (worthpoint.com)
    another similar with plain handle
    Vintage Blown Glass Rubina Verde Cruet Cranberry and Green | #406801222 (worthpoint.com)
    RIB OPTIC CRUET | #3826473836 (worthpoint.com)

bercrystal, judy, quirkygirl and 3 others like this.
  6. Elen Beattie

Great info thank you! I had wondered if it was a cruet without stopper. Would you think this was a bit of age to it?

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I keep forgetting I must sign in every time I look at this board now. Drat!

This post will not be fully displayed until you register or login!

[QUOTE="TallCakes, post: 4154972, member: 107"rubina verde[/QUOTE]

It could be a Hobbs Brocunier No. 306 Oil, ca 1884. The wide optic would be unusual, most were Polka dot (dot optic)

bercrystal, TallCakes and judy like this.
  8. Elen Beattie

It could be a Hobbs Brocunier No. 306 Oil, ca 1884. The wide optic would be unusual, most were Polka dot (dot optic)[/QUOTE]
    I think there's a box you can tick to stay signed in! Thanks for that, I did come across that company I will keep looking in that direction :happy:

9. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

agree, that it looks much like other known HB pieces but I couldn't find any specific examples other than this 1883 ad where I can't quite make out the numbers

[​IMG]

10. Elen Beattie

This is great thank you!!

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I thought Hobbs rarely, if ever, made pieces with reeded handles. Am I dreaming and got that wrong?

12. Elen Beattie

These look quite similar handle wise (sans Polka Dot!):

POLKA DOT (OMN) hob by Hobbs, Brockunier & Company (Wheeling-WV, Operated: 1845-1888), 1884

Hobbs.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted