Featured It must seem like I’m making this up

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jun 17, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

So crazy! Again curious what part of the country are you in? I feel they are trained really strongly to look at everything that even looks silver around here in the northeast. Not that it doesn’t happen and I’ll keep looking but wondering if it’s more likely to happen elsewhere.

2. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

Damn! That's alright!

MrNate and cxgirl like this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I'll just say that the staff in my area are very well trained to look for silver, but I am out looking a LOT, and every now and then something has to get through. There's also a lot of silver hunters out here, I have spoken to my fair share of them inside of stores. They all have varying levels of skill, but with items like this, it doesn't take much skill. I'm still hoping someday I can find the guy who's using a knife to scratch the bottom of silver items to see if it's plated; their going to get a piece of my mind about fairness and destruction of the stores property (though I'm sure they won't care).

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm in Connecticut. I just found a sterling frame today; the marks were bitty and they just missed them. It's the first time for silver in this location since the Christmas score, so....

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Love it Mr Nate:)
    I think most of us have been around long enough to know finds like this do happen, and it is wonderful when it happens to someone that posts here:)
    My friend got a sterling coffee pot with cream and sugar at Value Village not too long ago, all clearly marked sterling, paid around $15. Who knows how or why these pieces are missed, I'm just glad they are as that is what makes thrifting fun:)

6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you cxgirl, and sorry for the delay, I've had a few things to polish and photograph ;) I ran out of steam with the sterling salt & pepper shakers, they are surprisingly difficult to "de-tarnish", perhaps I'll take another shot at them tomorrow. Total paid for everything in the photos was $25, and I spent 7.5 hours hopping from store to store to make it happen today, I hope you enjoy the photos:

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG

7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

That stand is magnificent!

8. J Dagger

Very true on both counts it does have to happen! I also hate it when I find a cool piece that’s been scratched. Found a 600+g sterling serving tray at an estate sale recently someone scratched and acid tested the FRONT of it! At least at the thrift store it’s the back lol. I was going to buy it until I saw that. Great price for a good tray but big nasty blemish in front ruined it and I don't scrap stuff. I collect certain plated stuff so it’s annoying for sure in thrift stores.

9. J Dagger

I look for frames too! Definitely the easiest thing to miss IMO! I bought three in last few day but at auction and estate sale. The marks on an English one I picked up were so tiny I almost couldn’t find them even knowing they were there. Not a lot of silver on those usually but they tend to go for high prices when they sell. In addition to the English one whose marks I haven’t checked yet I got a Web and Lebkuecher for pretty cheap money.

10. Chiquita

Chiquita Well-Known Member

Lol

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I always look at the silver-fronted ones, just in case. There's almost never any joy, until this time.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted